SSS: adjusting open raise ranges depending on stack size

• whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      Is it a good idea? Like for an example you start open raising AQ,TT,99 at MP1, but if I am at 15BB I start open raising 'em at UTG3. My reasoning is that as the stack gets lower mistakes become less costly, and blinds more relevant. I also shift the positions with 1 in the other direction when my stack is 25BB, and I do the same when adjusting reraise ranges depending on opponent's PFR for the same reaons - dead money are more/less relevant, mistakes are less/more costly.

What do you think?

EDIT: I just realized this question doesn't really belong to BRONZE section, but dunno where else to put it.
  • 5 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by whateverdude
      Is it a good idea? Like for an example you start open raising AQ,TT,99 at MP1, but if I am at 15BB I start open raising 'em at UTG3.
      The strategy is optimal at 15BB. It's only the poker sites rules that won't allow you to buy in for that. Above 25BB you can't follow the push-over-the-top rules because you generally have too much left behind for it work out mathematically.

TLDR: No reason to change the strategy until you get above 30BB.
    • goldflair03
      goldflair03
      Bronze
      opening AQo+,99+ utg is absolute standart (nl50and higher) and doesnt depend on stack size.
      openraisingranges are depending on the calling- and 3-bettingranges of the guys sitting behind you ;)
      but its right that you can 3-bet a little bit looser with a lower stack size, because FEQ becomes more important.
      the bet size is also a thing that depends on stack size.
      for example :
      a 4bb openraise with a 15bb stack and one caller
      will build a 9.5 bb pot on the flop. that means if you shot a c-bet
      u're pot commited.
      but if u make a 3bb raise u're able to c-bet/fold (floppot:7.5bb restsack:12bb)
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by goldflair03
      opening AQo+,99+ utg is absolute standart (nl50and higher) and doesnt depend on stack size.
      openraisingranges are depending on the calling- and 3-bettingranges of the guys sitting behind you ;)
      but its right that you can 3-bet a little bit looser with a lower stack size, because FEQ becomes more important.
      the bet size is also a thing that depends on stack size.
      for example :
      a 4bb openraise with a 15bb stack and one caller
      will build a 9.5 bb pot on the flop. that means if you shot a c-bet
      u're pot commited.
      but if u make a 3bb raise u're able to c-bet/fold (floppot:7.5bb restsack:12bb)

so what would you say is the standard openraising range at mp at those levels?

ajo+ 88+ ?
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black

I disagree. You can loosen up IP, when isolation raising and/or you beat the initial raisers range, but if you open from UTG with Aqo or 99, TT you will be reraised only by better hands and in case of a call it's very difficult to play postflop OOP.
    • goldflair03
      goldflair03
      Bronze
      well i'm openraising Aj+, KQo, 88+ from mp2 (nl100/200 on ipoker).
      aq and TT are postflop oop absolute no brainer.
      of course u have to fold aq mostly to a 3-bet
      but against the callingranges u're way ahead, because Ak will be mostly 3-bettet.