[NL2-NL10] AJo free play on the BB

• undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($48.95)
      SB ($66)
      Hero ($10)
      UTG ($94.50)
      UTG+1 ($32.95)
      MP1 ($50)
      MP2 ($50.20)
      CO ($86.12)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , J:spade: . SB posts a blind of $0.25.
      [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], MP2 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) A:spade: , 5:club: , K:spade: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]
      SB checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $1.5[/color], MP2 folds, CO folds, SB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5) 4:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($5) 7:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]SB bets $3[/color], Hero calls $3.

Final Pot: $11

Results in white below: [color:#FFFFFF]
      SB has 7h Kc (two pair, kings and sevens).
      Hero has Ac Js (one pair, aces).
      Outcome: SB wins $11. [/color]

A few questions about this hand : According to the chart i raise this. However i had just lost the last hand where i had a straight on the flop only to lose to a fullhouse on the river , and maybe my image wasnt very good. Also 2 fish with 40 and 45 VPIP were in the hand which might call seeing this as a steal. Should i still raise this ? If so , the correct raise is at 3.5 $ ?
      Regardless on the raising i get a top pair with an ok kicker and i thought i am best at the time. One of the fish calls me. Do i fire another barrel on the turn or should i check behind like i did ? And is my call on the river correct?
      I only have 55 hands on the villain but his aggresion factor is low.
  • 5 replies
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Seems like your opponent was a typical Callingstation, and against passive callingstations betting for value with top pair is definitely fine here.
      So I would bet the turn again, maybe for like 1/2 Pot, also to protect against a possible flushdraw.

Against an aggressive opponent your line extracts the most money because they will not really often have a flushdraw here(they would've raised it on the flop), but often a weaker Ace or maybe even a king.
      And they will quite surely bet out on the river and you have an easy call with that river card.

Oh and btw. against calling stations I sometimes only check here too,because you will often be unimproved and OOP against someone who is calling most Continuationbets.
    • GratisGeldDT
      GratisGeldDT
      Global
      First of all
      let me introduce myself
      i am martin from the netherlands, i came here to check some interesting discussions, excuse me if my english isnt so good.

With a AJ on the BB and nobody raised before you, you can try to steal the pot right a away, a raise to $ 3,50 would drive the K7 out.
      But this is very risky, so just calling to see the flop was a good action.

with a flop like A K 5 i also would bet something like $1,50 because at this moment i want the other to call my bet, not to fold.

but if he does call and the turn brings a 'harmless' 4, i bet a lot more to get information about the opponent's hand and to make him fold with a draw hand, i think i bet something like $3,50 in this situation.

He can't call with a straight draw (if he likes his 2 or 3) or with one pair.

With the check you give him a free card to win the hand.

But its also a bummer that the 7 comes.

Better luck next time

Martin
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Oh and btw, please don't post results at the end of the hand, it often influences the discussion.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Ok i wont... even though they are "in white" and you can choose to not see them if you dont want :D
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Originally posted by undercover82
      Ok i wont... even though they are "in white" and you can choose to not see them if you dont want :D
      Who can resist ??
      No one can ;)