[NL2-NL10] pocket jacks , dangerous board , set on the flop

• undercover82
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($24.15)
      UTG ($23.50)
      Hero ($23.40)
      UTG+2 ($5.80)
      MP1 ($35.45)
      MP2 ($7.30)
      MP3 ($25.10)
      CO ($35.03)
      Button ($28.55)
      SB ($7.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J:heart: , J:diamond: . SB posts a blind of $0.10.
      [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $1[/color], [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], MP1 calls $1, [color:#666666]4 folds[/color], BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) A:club: , 9:heart: , J:club: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $2.8[/color], MP1 calls $2.80, BB folds.

Turn: ($8.70) 7:diamond: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $8[/color], MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $16.70

The question here is : how do i obtain maximum value while at the same time protecting my hand from the draws? Opponent stats like 33 VPIP , 22 WTSD
  • 2 replies
    • Alaton
      Here once again, the aggression is really important!

Your bet on the flop might seem like a normal Continuationbet, not really telling you necessarly have a strong hand.
      Against an aggressive opponent, you can then check the turn with that blank falling and place a check-raise (~All-In against a big bet) to grant maximum protection but you will still get value out of weak aces or such hands.
      Another option would be to place a small bet and hope for a raise, but you should know your opponent to be able to place such a move.

Against a Callingstation(passive opponents), I would bet a bit less on the turn, he does a mistake with calling a 2/3 Potsizebet too and you don't chase him away too hard. Often enough, they will call with a weak ace again.
      Notice that if he called you twice, no matter what the rivercard is, the best valueplay on the river will be to check and see if opponent makes a bluff(with a missed draw)/a value bet (with a hit draw or a weak ace).
      So you get most value out of missed draws and weak ace while saving some money when the draw got there.

Only exception here are the real passiv opponents, who never bet for themselves, but most of the time when calling twice they like trying to steal the pot on the river with a missed draw when you are showing weakness
    • undercover82
      I see. I didnt want to risk giving him a free card , i have not many hands of him but i saw that he has no aggression at all in the turn. Maybe the 2/3rd pot size bet was the best option there.

Do you have rules for auto-rating players in pokertracker or have a link where i can find them ? It might make it easier for me to recognize against what kind of opponent i am.