A walk on the dark side.

• themagpiespg
      Hi all this is my first post of my blog.

I'm Steve and I live in Bradford West Yorkshire and have been play poker for about 4 years. I started playing poker after watching it on tv and thought I can can do that it looks easy.

So I opened an account with William Hill's poker site and deposited 10 pounds their and played on line for the first time, I started with my entire bankroll on the table (cause I didn't know any better as I didn't know any thing about BRM) and started to win some money I was hooked as I turned my 10 pounds in to 160 in my first night of play and thought this is easy. Boy was I wrong the following night I lost it all in about 3 hours, I didn't play again for about 3 weeks. Then I tried again and you guested it the same thing happened I'd win some then lose it all.

This went on and on with the occasional big win of a few hundred $ in tornys but I probably lost more than I won as you do when you start to play or I just played for the fun of playing poker and only played with money I could afford to loss.

Then last year I started to take poker more seriously and started to read books starting with super systems 1 and 2 as I had these already for DoylesRoom where I have an account and got them for acquiring them form a bonus offer.

I started to build a br and got up to about $600 but things didn't quite work out as I was made redundant and had to whit draw my br as I had no money and had to pay the bills so poker had to come second at that point so all I was playing was the free rolls.

Thus ends my boom and bust phase of my poker career I hope. I guess this is a familiar story as alot of you have gone through this phase playing poker.

Then this Feb while browsing the web looking for strategy articles I came a cross this site and thought ok I'll sign up for the $50 so I took the quiz and failed it the first time (My fault as I didn;t read the articles first) but passed second time after reading them and I got my $50 starting capital and started to play on Titan current bank roll $800 and not a penny of my own money invested ( could have been $1800 but I with drew $1000 this week =) ).

To capped it all I received an email offering me a second starting capital on 888.com ( this site just gets better ) so I'll be playing on Titan and 888.com and this blog will keep track of my progress on both of them.

I will be playing cash games NL50 on week days and $5 tornys & SnG's at weekends.

As that brings my poker career up to date it's time to plan for the future and set some goals for my self so here goes.

1 Evaluate each sessions ( especially losing sessions )
      2 Post interesting hand here
      3 Up date my blog 1's a week
      4 Read the strat articles as they become available as my statues improves
      5 Achieve Gold status by the end of July
      6 Play my A game at all time and leave the tables if I think I'm not.
      7 Leave table when I have doubled through ( this 1 is a hard :evil: )

This hand is a good 1 to start with I lost the hand as you can see but as the player I was up against was very lose I think it qualifies.

I limp in just to see the flop as I had been on the table for 3 hours and new I could out play the rest of the table post flop and if I hit the flop right I would have a monster. My plan was to see the flop and make a bluff ( A .bet/fold if I didn't hit and B. check/raise if I hit a monster and to get all my chips in asap. As you can see.

Known players: (?)
      vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      21 100 67 15
      BB: $15.25
      2.0 0 25 85

Hero: $42.56

20 - 17 10
      CO: $30.50
      3.0 25 33 70
      33 0 33 16
      BU: $50.08
      3.6 33 30 116

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with Ks, Js (Comment)
      Hero calls $0.50, 4 folds, CO calls $0.50, BU calls $0.50, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.25) Ts, 7s, 2s (4 players) (Comment)
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $2.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.50, CO calls $2.25.

Turn: ($11.25) 2d (2 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5.62, Hero raises to $28.11, CO raises to $25.50 (All-In).

River: ($64.86) 6d (2 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $64.86

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a flush, king high (Ks Js)
      CO shows a flush, ace high (As 3s)

CO wins with a flush, ace high (As 3s)

I think the mistake I made with this hand was not raising preflop but then there would have very little profit in it.

Any comments are welcome.

Next post will be next Saturday.

Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

Bye for now.
  • 5 replies
    • themagpiespg
      Hi all just a quick progress report as this month so far has been quite bad so far as for the most of it I've be 5 buy in down, but I think its starting to turn round as of today 2.30am I'm now 1.5 buy in up so I'm back in profit for now.
      I've been play NL20 BSS as stated above I was going to move up to NL50 but as I've had a bad month so far I stayed where I was and just play a little NL50 SSS.

Well that's it for now main post on Saturday.

Bye for now. :s_cool:
    • themagpiespg
      Well I'm going to try to keep this up to date b6y posting every 2 weeks at least for the first post I'm posting a couple of graphs first 1 I'm posting money won non show down v show down winnings and I don't Like the look of the show down winnings on the graph as I think it is going in the wrong direction. X(

The second 1 is money won which looks ok but could be better ie less downs and more ups lol. :D

These relate to this year 1 Jan 2010 up to today playing nl20 sh bss on Titan

Now my goals for this year are

1 Post at least 1's every 2 weeks.
      2 move to nl50 in the next few months.
      3 posts as many hands as poss for every 1 to comment on and point out my mistakes ( as this will help me to find any leaks )
      4 All ways play my A game.
      5 set realistic lose limit of 4 buy in per session and stick to it.
      6 work on improving my game.
      7 stick to all of the above

So that's it for now

• themagpiespg
      This 1 is my money won vs expected value not perfect but we're getting there.

• themagpiespg
      Reasons not to play

1 feeling tired as i did this to day and paid for it 4 buy in down 2 due to big hands being drawn out on 2 due to being too tired to make the correct decision and allowing tilt to creep in to my game. This was due to playing till 4 ( $3.00 buy in 2k torny finished 7th for $68.00 ) this morning and getting up early as I had things to do so today's session was cut short.
    • TeflonDon88
      good to see another bradford player on here! looks like your doing well keep it up ;)