9 seated S&G varriance (biggest BI & no# of tournements downswing?)

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Hi,

I was just a currious as you what the biggest downswings you guys have had playing 9 seated S&G's. Both number of BI's & number of tournements.

Iv just finished enjoying a 220 tournement spell of ROI been 25%...unfortunatley all good things come to a end...lol. It's cool though, aslong as i keep playing well as i am. I havnt the biggest experience with S&G varriance as i was previously a cash game player 2/3 maybe 4 months ago so i'll lookforward to hearing what you all have to say. :D
  • 32 replies
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i had 90-100BI doomer... but im 16 tabeling so ...
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miskokvo
      Geeze thats pritty sick...

I'm only 6 tabling...only because when it gets short handed i carnt keep up if i play more (atm atleast).

What do you think might be expected for somone 6 tabling?
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i think it is somewhere between 30-60
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      1K sng breakeven stretch... that includes lines down that cover 70-100 buy-ins.
      Big part of those are 45-90 man so doesn't help you alot I'm afraid :p
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      i think it is somewhere between 30-60
      Ok thanks miskokvo
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      1K sng breakeven stretch... that includes lines down that cover 70-100 buy-ins.
      Big part of those are 45-90 man so doesn't help you alot I'm afraid :p
      It would appear not, no. lol. ;)
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      33 BI, 9-tabling $3+0.40 at Stars
    • Kuban88
      Kuban88
      Bronze
      ~80 BI, but i was playing superturbos back then
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      About 25 BIs I think.

But you played those super turbo low starting stack sngs, didnt you?
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      there are a lot of types sng .. now im playing mtt sng vhere is normal swing up to 50-60BI

but i think in 9 mans turbo you can expect like 80BI max.. (for example watch helemanics blog)
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/1072/4/ is a good article on this. It assumes that you never go on tilt, of course.

Here is a graph showing to probability of having a 100BI downswing for ROIs of 5% and 10% (look at the line near the horizontal axis and the one near the line for 20BI downswing at 15% ROI). You will see that, even with only a 5% ROI, it takes a HUGE sample size to have a reasonable chance to drop 100BI even once. All credit for the graph goes to Unam1337, of course. :s_cool:

• PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      I'm playing 11$ + 1$ SNG turbos at full tilt. 8 tables, playing successive. I don't have a big samplesize, only about 600 games.

My biggest downer so far is ~ 30 BIs over 200 games. After that I won ~ 50 BIs in like 50-60 games. Today I manage to get OOTM 18 games in a row (some of them was because of semitilt and some misclicks in important hands.) After that I manage to get some first and second place finishes :)

So my experiece so far is that it is very swingy and it's EXREAMLY important to stay focused while playing, manage to control tilt and constantly trying to find leaks. ALOT of money can disappair if you can't do this.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i dont like articles counting probability of downswing .. they are bulshi..t IMO ..

there is no vay how you can count human mistakes/tilt ... every player is diferent ...every player is afected by diferent aspects like BR,state-origin(economy etc)

for someone can be 100$ pocket money for someone it is big... you cant calculate exactly chance of having XX downswing because those diferences making this calculation like +- 30% ..and size of downswing also depends of how many tables you play ...

for eg im playing 12 MTT sng ... if i had bad day ... im down 30Bi ... I cant just stand up and stop play coz im having still 10 tables opened and my play is crushed by tilt/bad beats ading to my 30BI downswing another 5-10BI..

so fuk those article (sry guys whos writed it) ...every player is diferent ... you should play play play ..gain you experience and sample size and you will see ho big downswing you can expecetd...

simple: i bet you that Phill Ivey downswing is smaller than downswing of Mike Matusov (who is often afeced on tilt) or other good but weaker players
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      ..and size of downswing also depends of how many tables you play ...
      This makes no sense to me. How is playing 20 sngs in 2 hours different than playing 20 sngs in 10 hours.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      cyzo ... try to think ... watch boku87 chalange and you will see it that downer is hugely afected by number of tables

because if you play bad on 4 tables you made only few mistakes per hour

if you play bad on 50 tables you maiking constantly lot of mistakes...

if you play few sng a day you made less mistakes/ or just tomorow you will play better...

fuk it my english is to bad to explain it ... if you are clever plus have some experiences with human thinking (empaty or etc) you will get it
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      and for end try to think:

how much is poker psychological game and how much is matematical and you will see clear diferences ....

you cant count human psych.... those graph working maybe for computer/robots not for humans

i can clearly say that there is more than 25% of psychological afect on game of poker...

"you play your oponents,not your card" for eg
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      cyzo ... try to think ... watch boku87 chalange and you will see it that downer is hugely afected by number of tables
      I have no need to expend effort on thought. I am aware of Boku's challenge and still come to the conclusion that the number of tables played at one time cannot be correlated to the size of a downswing. Anyone playing the number of sngs he played, one at a time, with ~his ROI could hit a similar downswing.

I do not think that you can generalize and say that a player who plays more tables at once is more apt to make unwarranted mistakes, therefore lowering his ROI and leading to a larger downswing. If I can get as high an ROI playing sets of 30 as some guy who plays sets of 5 24 hours a day, and we both put in the same number throughout the course of a month, I would not be willing to bet that I would, on average, have larger downswings. Variance and EV exhibit memorylessness. It does not matter when they are played as long as the same number are put in.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      whatever ... i played1 ,2 ,4 ,6, ... up to 16 tables and i can tell you there is diference like 20-30%
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i know what you mean ...

if guy A has played 100games with roi of 10% = 10$ eg
      if guy B has played 200 games with roi of 5% =10$ eg ...

and their profit looses will be same at long run ... but i can guarante you that guy A will have biggest downstreet like 20BI and guy B like 25Bi ... but at the end they will be same profitable but guy B will have biger swings