Stack
      Hero:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $4.10
      CO:
      $6.35

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9:heart: , 9:club:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.20, 3 folds, CO calls $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.00 (All-In), UTG2 raises to $3.80, CO folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.25

Thoughts:
      - 99 seems too strong to fold to a minraise but I'm not really familiar with short stack strategy.
      - I can't call because then any over card will kill my hand against two opponents and I definately don't have set odds.
      - A raise is ((0.2 x 3.5) + 0.2) = 0.9 which is almost half my stack so a raise is instead a push?
      - So what is the best line?
  • 4 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      - 99 seems too strong to fold to a minraise but I'm not really familiar with short stack strategy.
      - I can't call because then any over card will kill my hand against two opponents and I definately don't have set odds.
      - A raise is ((0.2 x 3.5) + 0.2) = 0.9 which is almost half my stack so a raise is instead a push?

I agree with 1st point in general with the proviso that UTG minraises often turn out to be monsters. So, to start with, if UTG 2 did have a monster which he semi-slowplayed, you should make a note on him for next time.

If you're going to play SSS, you really need to be pretty familiar with SSS strategy - otherwise it's hard to make any profit. So definitely it's worth rereading the articles.

You can raise 3x bet + caller, which in this case would be .80 and generally this would be preferable to pushing as you lose value from worse hands. However, since you'll be playing OOP and given what you say about any overcards on the flop I think it is probably a push or fold situation. And in fact I don't think it's necessarily wrong to fold in this spot.
    • nworb200
      nworb200
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64

I agree with 1st point in general with the proviso that UTG minraises often turn out to be monsters. So, to start with, if UTG 2 did have a monster which he semi-slowplayed, you should make a note on him for next time.

If you're going to play SSS, you really need to be pretty familiar with SSS strategy - otherwise it's hard to make any profit. So definitely it's worth rereading the articles.

You can raise 3x bet + caller, which in this case would be .80 and generally this would be preferable to pushing as you lose value from worse hands. However, since you'll be playing OOP and given what you say about any overcards on the flop I think it is probably a push or fold situation. And in fact I don't think it's necessarily wrong to fold in this spot.

+1 except I think that unless you have a solid read or good stats on the raiser you should push every time especially when he has a pre-flop raise of 71% (I know there are only seven hands but you're a bit unlucky if its a tight player with a string of good cards.)

99 = difficult to play post flop so push (you would have to push the conti-bet out of position anyway)
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I push he's played 6 out of 7 hands so far. Definately easily loose enough to own :D
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hi Smileyphil,

well played. On the low limits you can disrespect minraises(specially with 71/71 stats :) ) and treat them as 2 limpers as well as every caller of the minraise. So, you should play your hand as though there were four limpers and standard is to push preflop whenever you sit in the blinds and there are 3+ limpers due to commitment problems post flop(you'd need to push any flop as a c-bet if you got called because of small remaining stack).

Regards,
      burek2000