Money oriented mindset flaw!?

• RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Hi guys. I just want to ask if anyone has a same problem as i do.
      I am think i am too money oriented at poker. I know i should rather try to improve my game, but i can't get out of this skin.

The exact problem is that everytime i loose some money, usually one day i earn for example 30$ then the other day i lose 50$. Or i get some bonus released then i lose the money i got through bonus or other promotion.
      Then i get depressed because i am constantly thinking how much money i'd have if i wouldn't lose it.

I play SSS and i know it's swingy. But how do you deal with those swings. Do you say ok it's normal it's poker or do you just take a certain amount of time and say you are successfull or unsuccessful?

Thx
  • 4 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Do you say ok it's normal it's poker or do you just take a certain amount of time and say you are successfull or unsuccessful?

I take certain amount of time to read articles/watch videos/analyse my play and then determine if I played good or bad. And no, I don't count how many sandwitches I could have bought if i haven't lost that money :tongue:
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RockEye

The exact problem is that everytime i loose some money, usually one day i earn for example 30$ then the other day i lose 50$. Or i get some bonus released then i lose the money i got through bonus or other promotion.
      Then i get depressed because i am constantly thinking how much money i'd have if i wouldn't lose it.
      I think every single player has felt this way(or still does), imo I will have an edge(in the long run) on anyone on the table who doesn't study the game as much as I do. And don't think its a huge edge, its a small one.
      Theres many ppl who just play for fun and even if its a hobby for them, they can and will stack you sometimes.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Don't view it as money, view it as blinds. ;)
      Also, if you have conservative BR try out not to check your acc balance for at least a week, it's good practice for not being results oriented.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah just view it as buy-ins or blinds

I used to mind losing money. Now its just.. oh well.. don't matter. I know I am a winning player on certain limits, so if I take shots at higher ones and lose bigger amounts it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

The money is just a tool, just a number. You would have never withdrawn the money or bought anything with it anyway (in low stakes you never withdraw) and it will come back if your a winning player.

Like before I was like.. oh god. I lost 30$. Bit later same feeling with 100$. Now I just lost 100$ in like an hour or something, doesn't bother me anymore (2 BI).

The only thing which bothers me a lot is when I lose money because of dumb ass tilt play or so. Then you goto analyse the game, this is when its important that it hurts I think. The rest is just.... 75$ lost because I held AK in the BU while BB had AA today... happens.

Just don't think of the money and it will be alright :)