This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Money oriented mindset flaw!?

• RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Hi guys. I just want to ask if anyone has a same problem as i do.
      I am think i am too money oriented at poker. I know i should rather try to improve my game, but i can't get out of this skin.

The exact problem is that everytime i loose some money, usually one day i earn for example 30$ then the other day i lose 50$. Or i get some bonus released then i lose the money i got through bonus or other promotion.
      Then i get depressed because i am constantly thinking how much money i'd have if i wouldn't lose it.

I play SSS and i know it's swingy. But how do you deal with those swings. Do you say ok it's normal it's poker or do you just take a certain amount of time and say you are successfull or unsuccessful?

Thx
  • 4 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Do you say ok it's normal it's poker or do you just take a certain amount of time and say you are successfull or unsuccessful?

I take certain amount of time to read articles/watch videos/analyse my play and then determine if I played good or bad. And no, I don't count how many sandwitches I could have bought if i haven't lost that money :tongue:
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RockEye

The exact problem is that everytime i loose some money, usually one day i earn for example 30$ then the other day i lose 50$. Or i get some bonus released then i lose the money i got through bonus or other promotion.
      Then i get depressed because i am constantly thinking how much money i'd have if i wouldn't lose it.
      I think every single player has felt this way(or still does), imo I will have an edge(in the long run) on anyone on the table who doesn't study the game as much as I do. And don't think its a huge edge, its a small one.
      Theres many ppl who just play for fun and even if its a hobby for them, they can and will stack you sometimes.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Don't view it as money, view it as blinds. ;)
      Also, if you have conservative BR try out not to check your acc balance for at least a week, it's good practice for not being results oriented.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah just view it as buy-ins or blinds

I used to mind losing money. Now its just.. oh well.. don't matter. I know I am a winning player on certain limits, so if I take shots at higher ones and lose bigger amounts it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

The money is just a tool, just a number. You would have never withdrawn the money or bought anything with it anyway (in low stakes you never withdraw) and it will come back if your a winning player.

Like before I was like.. oh god. I lost 30$. Bit later same feeling with 100$. Now I just lost 100$ in like an hour or something, doesn't bother me anymore (2 BI).

The only thing which bothers me a lot is when I lose money because of dumb ass tilt play or so. Then you goto analyse the game, this is when its important that it hurts I think. The rest is just.... 75$ lost because I held AK in the BU while BB had AA today... happens.

Just don't think of the money and it will be alright :)