Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($39.34)
      Hero ($76.52)
      CO ($51.26)
      BTN ($51.78)

Dealt to Hero 7:heart: 7:diamond:

CO calls $0.50, BTN raises to $2.25, fold, Hero raises to $9, fold, BTN calls $6.75

FLOP ($18.75) T:club: A:heart: 8:spade:

Hero bets $12, BTN calls $12

TURN ($42.75) T:club: A:heart: 8:spade: Q:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $10.68, Hero folds

BTN wins $40.75

Is it alright to cbet this flop with air? Once he calls, I can easily give up right?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      I'd rather only 3bet his isoraise with AQ+ TT+ for value and speculative hands as a bluff. You could call 77 even out of position, because then CO might overcall and you could play for set value against the fish and, i guess, a tag.
      You basically turned 77 into a bluff by 3betting it, because you won't call a shove with it anyway, so when you don't hit a set, which is most of the time, you're in a bad spot.

Flop comes Ahigh, which is good for you, BUT. Most tags still won't fold whatever they called your huge 3bet preflop with to just a c-bet, so it becomes tricky without reads :

- If he called a low to medium PP, either you're way ahead or you're totally toast. If you bet he'll only fold worse PPs, if you check he might try & bluff you with them, and you can't call.

- If he called with speculative stuff like suited connectors, he likely has enough with pair+redraw types of hands to call a bet on the flop in case you're bluffing, because all your air c-bets that flop. If you check, he'll probably check behind.

- If he called with a high PP or a big A to trap, he also isn't folding to the flop c-bet no matter what.

In my opinion, unless your opponent is tight enough to fold anything thats not Ax+ on that flop, c-betting isn't that good in these situations UNLESS you're planning on shoving the turn to take him off anything worse then AQ.
      The problem here is that you have a 2-outers if you're behind, which is why it's better to show up in these spots with stuff that still has some equity if you're planning on doing that.

I'd say c/f is ok, with better reads i prefer c-bet flop / shove turn if i'm gonna c-bet at all (not with 77 though), and c-bet flop / c/f turn is sort of a compromise.

Hope that helps, somehow.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Any stats/reads on him? Sure you can 3bet here preflop and also CBeting on the flop is totally fine, he might even fold his lower PPs with what he Called preflop (might even be QQ or something similar).

Best regards,
      Rensu