This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Value, protection and perhaps a little paranoia (3 hands NL25 SH)

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      A bad beat when deep followed by a down persistently horizontal swing has granted me a little extra time at NL25, so I thought I'd post another batch of hands where the mistakes at least aren't obvious enough for me to be sure of a better line. 1. Villain is a calling station, more or less. Maybe I should've bet the flop and turn heavier but he's not loose enough for that to get me more value, although perhaps I need the protection with a double suited and well connected board on the turn. Him coming alive as he does on the river invariably signals a hand, but I couldn't consider folding. PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em [color:#0000FF](5 handed)[/color] HandRecorder Stacks & Stats BB ($35.22) Hero ($39.55) Preflop: Hero is MP with A:heart: , A:spade: [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $1[/color], [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], BB calls $0.75. Flop: ($2.10) 9:spade: , T:diamond: , J:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] BB checks, [color:#FF0000]Hero bets $1.50[/color], BB calls $1.50. Turn: ($5.10) 6:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] BB checks, [color:#FF0000]Hero bets $3[/color], BB calls $3. River: ($11.10) 6:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] [color:#FF0000]BB bets $5[/color], Hero calls $5. Final Pot: $21.10. 2. Bad blind defence turns into a probable best hand on the flop but meets a scare card on the turn. With any queen beating me it seemed better to try to either escape cheaply or get some value out of a weaker hand. With the river card I was even more likely to be behind and content to take the free showdown. (Villain is loose preflop and a loose stealer in particular but otherwise no reads.) PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em [color:#0000FF](5 handed)[/color] HandRecorder Stacks & Stats SB ($60.94) Hero ($32.45) Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , K:diamond: [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], [color:#FF0000]SB raises to $0.75[/color], [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $2[/color], SB calls $1.25. Flop: ($4.00) A:club: , T:heart: , K:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] SB checks, [color:#FF0000]Hero bets $2.75[/color], SB calls $2.75. Turn: ($9.50) J:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] SB checks, Hero checks. River: ($9.50) A:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] SB checks, Hero checks. Final Pot: $9.50. 3. Same villain as hand 2 (actually took place before hand 2, I'm working up through my recorded hands). I've got a good draw on the flop and may be ahead, but the second pair on the turn is worrying as I may now be behind even if I make my flush. I don't assign any particular meaning to the min bets, he's made them before with nothing much. Pairing up on the river isn't reassuring at all so I check behind. PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em [color:#0000FF](6 handed)[/color] HandRecorder Stacks & Stats CO ($80.69) Hero ($25) Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , A:diamond: [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], CO calls $0.25, [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], [color:#666666]1 folds[/color], BB calls $1, CO calls $1. Flop: ($3.85) 4:club: , 7:diamond: , 4:diamond: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color] BB checks, [color:#FF0000]CO bets $0.25[/color], [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $2[/color], BB folds, CO calls $1.75. Turn: ($7.85) 7:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] [color:#FF0000]CO bets $0.25[/color], Hero calls $0.25. River: ($8.35) K:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] CO checks, Hero checks. Final Pot: $8.35.
  • 1 reply
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      As a quick note, I'm not a master of BSS-game but I'll give some comments anyways.

1) Given the information that he is a callingstation, a bet on the turn seems necessary. I would bet a bit more here, like $3.50-$4 to grant good protection. If you get raised you can get away against such a passive opponent.
      The Bet on the River gives you great odds and villain could only be wanting to get a Pair of Jacks to the Showdown cheaply and doesn't want to call a big bet from you, which is the reason why a call is good with me here.
      Raising doesn't make sense and folding is really weak against such a small bet, you only have to win in ~25% to break even so we have an easy call.

Against aggressive opponents a check behind on the turn might be an option, because they will check/raise you with many draws and you could end up folding the best hand.
      So here I would suggest check behind turn and call riverbet with an unscary card falling. (this is a spot where Pot control is more important than Protection, since you could already be drawing dead!)

2) Preflop would be a call for me and not a reraise, since he is loose he will call your bet nearly always anyways und you just build a pot with a weak hand. Reraising with suited connectors or pairs is the thing I sometimes do here.
      Bet on the flop is fine and I would've also been really alert of the turn- and rivercard. A Bet there doesn't really make sense, as he won't call with a worse hand anyways, especially on the river. So checking the hand down is fine.

3) If you raise on the flop (which I would also do), I would make a bigger Raise to get him out, like $2.50-3$ here.
      Call turn is fine but on the River you have a pretty easy Valuebet. His line speaks for a Pocketpair, something like 55,66,88. I wouldn't really put him on a 7 here, he wouldn't check a 7 on the river seeing you didn't make action on the turn.
      I would suggest a Valuebet of maybe 3$, so that an Underpair has an easy call given the good odds.