[NL2-NL10] Value, protection and perhaps a little paranoia (3 hands NL25 SH)

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      A bad beat when deep followed by a down persistently horizontal swing has granted me a little extra time at NL25, so I thought I'd post another batch of hands where the mistakes at least aren't obvious enough for me to be sure of a better line. 1. Villain is a calling station, more or less. Maybe I should've bet the flop and turn heavier but he's not loose enough for that to get me more value, although perhaps I need the protection with a double suited and well connected board on the turn. Him coming alive as he does on the river invariably signals a hand, but I couldn't consider folding. PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em [color:#0000FF](5 handed)[/color] HandRecorder Stacks & Stats BB ($35.22) Hero ($39.55) Preflop: Hero is MP with A:heart: , A:spade: [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $1[/color], [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], BB calls $0.75. Flop: ($2.10) 9:spade: , T:diamond: , J:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] BB checks, [color:#FF0000]Hero bets $1.50[/color], BB calls $1.50. Turn: ($5.10) 6:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] BB checks, [color:#FF0000]Hero bets $3[/color], BB calls $3. River: ($11.10) 6:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] [color:#FF0000]BB bets $5[/color], Hero calls $5. Final Pot: $21.10. 2. Bad blind defence turns into a probable best hand on the flop but meets a scare card on the turn. With any queen beating me it seemed better to try to either escape cheaply or get some value out of a weaker hand. With the river card I was even more likely to be behind and content to take the free showdown. (Villain is loose preflop and a loose stealer in particular but otherwise no reads.) PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em [color:#0000FF](5 handed)[/color] HandRecorder Stacks & Stats SB ($60.94) Hero ($32.45) Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , K:diamond: [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], [color:#FF0000]SB raises to $0.75[/color], [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $2[/color], SB calls $1.25. Flop: ($4.00) A:club: , T:heart: , K:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] SB checks, [color:#FF0000]Hero bets $2.75[/color], SB calls $2.75. Turn: ($9.50) J:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] SB checks, Hero checks. River: ($9.50) A:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] SB checks, Hero checks. Final Pot: $9.50. 3. Same villain as hand 2 (actually took place before hand 2, I'm working up through my recorded hands). I've got a good draw on the flop and may be ahead, but the second pair on the turn is worrying as I may now be behind even if I make my flush. I don't assign any particular meaning to the min bets, he's made them before with nothing much. Pairing up on the river isn't reassuring at all so I check behind. PartyPoker $25 NL Hold'em [color:#0000FF](6 handed)[/color] HandRecorder Stacks & Stats CO ($80.69) Hero ($25) Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , A:diamond: [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], CO calls $0.25, [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], [color:#666666]1 folds[/color], BB calls $1, CO calls $1. Flop: ($3.85) 4:club: , 7:diamond: , 4:diamond: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color] BB checks, [color:#FF0000]CO bets $0.25[/color], [color:#FF0000]Hero raises to $2[/color], BB folds, CO calls $1.75. Turn: ($7.85) 7:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] [color:#FF0000]CO bets $0.25[/color], Hero calls $0.25. River: ($8.35) K:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color] CO checks, Hero checks. Final Pot: $8.35.
  • 1 reply
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      As a quick note, I'm not a master of BSS-game but I'll give some comments anyways.

1) Given the information that he is a callingstation, a bet on the turn seems necessary. I would bet a bit more here, like $3.50-$4 to grant good protection. If you get raised you can get away against such a passive opponent.
      The Bet on the River gives you great odds and villain could only be wanting to get a Pair of Jacks to the Showdown cheaply and doesn't want to call a big bet from you, which is the reason why a call is good with me here.
      Raising doesn't make sense and folding is really weak against such a small bet, you only have to win in ~25% to break even so we have an easy call.

Against aggressive opponents a check behind on the turn might be an option, because they will check/raise you with many draws and you could end up folding the best hand.
      So here I would suggest check behind turn and call riverbet with an unscary card falling. (this is a spot where Pot control is more important than Protection, since you could already be drawing dead!)

2) Preflop would be a call for me and not a reraise, since he is loose he will call your bet nearly always anyways und you just build a pot with a weak hand. Reraising with suited connectors or pairs is the thing I sometimes do here.
      Bet on the flop is fine and I would've also been really alert of the turn- and rivercard. A Bet there doesn't really make sense, as he won't call with a worse hand anyways, especially on the river. So checking the hand down is fine.

3) If you raise on the flop (which I would also do), I would make a bigger Raise to get him out, like $2.50-3$ here.
      Call turn is fine but on the River you have a pretty easy Valuebet. His line speaks for a Pocketpair, something like 55,66,88. I wouldn't really put him on a 7 here, he wouldn't check a 7 on the river seeing you didn't make action on the turn.
      I would suggest a Valuebet of maybe 3$, so that an Underpair has an easy call given the good odds.