[NL2-NL10] Nl5 77

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Another hand I lost. Did I play this correctly? River card was definitely unlucky I think. Should I have bet more on the turn?

Thanks

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $1.00
      BU:
      $5.14
      SB:
      $1.07
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $2.13
      MP1:
      $2.23
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3(Hero):
      $2.55

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7, 7.
      3 folds, Hero calls $0.05, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.15) A, 6, 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.15) 7 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20, BB folds.

River: ($0.55) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.55, Hero raises to $1.1, SB calls $0.27(All-In).

Final Pot: $2.47.

Results follow (highlight to see):

Hero shows three of a kind, sevens (7d 7s)
      SB shows a straight, eight high (2d 5s)
      SB wins with a straight, eight high (2d 5s).
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: I don't like your open-limp at all, raise it up here.

As played
      Flop: Check behind.
      Turn: Bet pot, you can't really bet much more, you already bet over the pot. Betting over the pot usually indicates to a very strong hand.
      River: Folding here, I don't think that we beat anything. You don't have to risk with your money, it's more likely a freeplay.

Best regards,
      Rensu
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply.

I was playing badly last night. I notice when I'm tired after a long day, I tend to not think enough before I act. If I just think for 2 seconds before clicking anything, I would minimize my losses.

The reason I like to call with small pocket pairs in late positions rather than raise is because I think the only way I can win the hand is if I hit a set on the flop, otherwise I've wasted my money raising.

This is apparently wrong thinking, can someone tell me why?

Thanks a lot
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      Thanks for the reply.

I was playing badly last night. I notice when I'm tired after a long day, I tend to not think enough before I act. If I just think for 2 seconds before clicking anything, I would minimize my losses.

The reason I like to call with small pocket pairs in late positions rather than raise is because I think the only way I can win the hand is if I hit a set on the flop, otherwise I've wasted my money raising.

Thanks a lot
      Here's what I think I've learned about these situations - please correct me if I'm mistaken.

When you limp first in you could get called, or raised and might have to play out of position or even fold preflop. You lose all initiative on the flop.

By raising you take the initiative in the hand. You might be playing out of position, but you can now make a continuation bet the flop, representing the strong hand from early position.

If you raise first in and then get 3bet you may call with the right odds and probably stack your opponent when you hit trips. (they might even have AK or AQ on this board) You can also get away from a flop you missed and put your opponent on a stronger hand more reliably depending on how often they 3bet.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      Thanks for the reply.

Thanks a lot
      Here's what I think I've learned about these situations - please correct me if I'm mistaken.

When you limp first in you could get called, or raised and might have to play out of position or even fold preflop. You lose all initiative on the flop.

By raising you take the initiative in the hand. You might be playing out of position, but you can now make a continuation bet the flop, representing the strong hand from early position.

If you raise first in and then get 3bet you may call with the right odds and probably stack your opponent when you hit trips. (they might even have AK or AQ on this board) You can also get away from a flop you missed and put your opponent on a stronger hand more reliably depending on how often they 3bet.
      This, completely.

Being the pre-flop aggressor puts you in such a great spot on the flop. Raising allows you to issolate people who can complete in the SB or limp behind. Not all people agree but I think it's actually best to raise pocket pairs from UTG. People put you on a much tighter range than you have.