Stacks:
      UTG PopaS777 ($39.95)
      UTG+1 pheisar ($25.00)
      CO Hero ($25.35)
      BTN SeppoTK333 ($24.40)
      SB w0undy ($48.25)
      BB vitas555 ($32.75)

Pre-flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is CO Q:heart: T:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1, 1 fold, w0undy calls $0.90, vitas555 calls $0.75

Flop: J:club: Q:diamond: 5:heart: ($3, 3 players)
      w0undy checks, vitas555 checks, Hero bets $2, w0undy raises to $5.75, vitas555 folds, Hero calls $3.75

Turn: 4:club: ($14.50, 2 players)
      w0undy bets $9, Hero folds

Final Pot: $23.50

w0undy wins $22.80 ( won +$7.05 )
      Hero lost -$6.75
      vitas555 lost -$

Is my line here standard or too weak?
      opp: 24/16/6.3 only 40 hands; no history/reads
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      On the flop he isn't representing much when he raises, as he would be better off just calling your c-bet if he flatted a good Q to let you keep barreling your air, but given his aggression i wouldn't be surprised to see him raise top pair either.
      I will mostly discard JJ+ because it's very unlikely he didn't raise preflop, plus those hands aren't that different from top pair in this hand. Since you don't have history, his range for raising is AQ,KQ,QJ, T9, 55, sometimes JJ+ and lots of air or worse hands he is turning into bluffs without realizing it. I think calling in position and reevaluating on the turn is reasonable without reads, we certainly can't fold and we don't want to go broke with it either.

On the turn, he's basically telling you he wants to play for stacks and that he will also shove the river. He raised the flop into the pfa and another player, and then made a committing bet on the turn. If he is on a pure bluff then props to him, but we don't have enough to assume he's nuts yet. I wouldn't fold AQ there because he can't have many great hands, but QT isn't that strong, folding is fine.

As played i think everything is fine if you haven't seen SB get out of line yet, as he seems to be very aggressive.

On a side note, while c-betting is fine, i would consider sometimes checking behind on the flop in the future against him with your marginal made hands on dry flops if he does that often.

He is a taggish player so his range can't stand much heat on that board, he needs a worse Q, a J or T9 to call multiples bets, unless he makes a habit of floating you with trash, in which case you can indeed get a lot of value with a c-bet. If you check, he will likely try and steal the pot with all his air on the turn given his aggression and maybe follow up on the river, so you can still get value while keeping the pot small with the hands you don't wanna get c/r'd off of by taking a passive line.

Hope it helps.
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      I think i'd fold the flop.
      Calling with the intention to fold is almost never a good play imo.
      The problem is you'll be playing a huge pot with a hand that has almost no equity if beaten, and the checkraise at the flop is strong - this guy checkraises with 2 players left to act!