Some feedback would be much appreciated ...

• gan902
      gan902
      Bronze
      Hi All,

First time posting here - I joined pokerstrategy just over a month ago and have been playing SSS NL10 (mainly) on Party. I usually play in the evenings after work for 2-3 hours. I purchased PT3 a few days ago because the trial on the elephant HUD expired and i want to use it while i play to get a better understanding of the stats. So far, i've only played 9900 hands and have my BR up to $150, thanks to a 6th place tourny finish for $86 (bad BRM after tilting a bit :) ). I have the following stats:

VPIP: 11.5
      PFR: 6.3
      AF: 2.5
      W$WSF: 38
      WTSD: 33
      W$SD: 58
      Att to SB: 16
      Fold SB/BB to Steal: 85/84
      Fold to Flop Bet: 68.5
      BB\100: +1.24

If there are other stats you want to see, let me know.

At my peak, i had gotten my $50 up to $113 playing SSS NL10 but had one week of a downswing to cripple my winnings (tilt accounted for a large chunk also).

I play 4 tables at once. Are there any glaring leaks that i should know about from these stats?

I'm also thinking of reducing my playing tables to 2 for the time being so i'll have more time to read stats and compare similar stats to gain a better picture of a player, although as my database is still small, i dont have enough hands on regs for my stats to be accurate ...

Anyway, all critique much appreciated and great job on the Site! I was very fortunate to stumble across it.
  • 9 replies
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      vpip is too high. I'm sure you lose almost all the blinds you limp in with and that's a leak.
    • gan902
      gan902
      Bronze
      So i shouldn't be entering a pot unless i raise playing SSS? I tend to limp in the blinds with suited connectors ... am i better off just folding everything in the blinds unless i have a hand i can raise or 3bet with?

Thanks for reply.
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      You got it. Only raise when you have the appropriate hand and fold if you don't.

If you limp 2 times every 100 hands and fold to a raise, it's already a -2bb/100 leak.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi gan902 good to see you posting your stats here!

Active discussion of your play is the most important way to fix your mistakes :)

As already stated your VPIP is too high and the gap between the VPIP and the PFR is also too high.

If you enter a hand as an SSS player you should be raising or re-raising - not calling or limping. While there are some exceptions (e.g. pocket pairs in the SB after 3+ limpers) where you could complete for set value - you generally want to be the pre-flop aggressor when looking at the flop.

I will move this thread to the no limit discussion forum where there will hopefully be some more discussion :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i disagree with the vpip being too high, mine is 15 and im a winning sss
      player. for basic sss 8 is good but for advanced it shoudl be higher.

u already know the key....

"I'm also thinking of reducing my playing tables to 2 for the time being so i'll have more time to read stats and compare similar stats to gain a better picture of a player, although as my database is still small, i dont have enough hands on regs for my stats to be accurate ..."

learn to steal blinds using stats
      learn to resteal from blind stealers
      play the players as well as the cards by interpeting your stats.
      learn to adjust your ranges using your stats and their pfr in their position.

all the above will reduce varience and give u a solid winning line overall.
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      May I ask, how big is your sample size? Hard to believe someone can be a winning SSS player with vpip 15%.. What is your pfr? And what limit do you play?
    • gan902
      gan902
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know good articles on detailing the different stats, what stats work together, and the most important ones to display on your HUD. I have been messing around with the HUD lately to get a layout that works but if you have 4 tables tiled, things get very cluttered.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I think the most important stats to begin with are VPIP and PFR. They show with that hand range a villain will flat call or limp and with what hand range they raise.

Next comes their steal stats from the BU and re-steal stats from BB and SB. It will show you roughly how serious you should take his BU raises etc. when your in the blinds.

Next comes flop stats: Fold to c-bet. It will show you how many times he will fold when you bet out on the flop, regardless if you hit or not.

I think at your level this is enough. Maybe a few more flop stats.
      Turn stats you already need more hands and at your stage they probably do not mean too much. But you could look at how many times he folds to turn barrels to see if you can use scare cards on the turn etc. However like I said you need a pretty big sample size.

Lastly comes WTSD and W$SD. This shows how many times someone goes to showdown and how many times he wins at showdown. You need a bigger sample size for this and have to be careful, people tend to overread these stats and make somewhat wrong decisions. Usually happens because villain shows a low WTSD and high W$SD so you think he will win at the river. Not really true due to mostly insufficient sample size and ignoring how the hand was played out because you look at these stats.

Also look at AF for every street when villain bets into you. If its high and he also has high c-bet stats it means he bluffs or semi-bluffs a lot and you can continue with like underpair or sometimes medium pair to the turn and see what he does then.

Thats about it.

Personally... I usually stop caring about stats after pre-flop. I remember how villain reacts to c-bets on the flop, sometimes I look it up but not that often. Turn stats are mostly useless for me. And the last two.. I hardly ever look at them.

Lately have been playing blind a lot and it also works out.
      Stats are pretty much overrated for micro limits (play NL50 right now without them over 4 tables and it works out well) since villains are mostly fish and when you see someone with like 60/20 stats I won't even look at the other stats anymore since I know what kind of player he is.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sm112
      May I ask, how big is your sample size? Hard to believe someone can be a winning SSS player with vpip 15%.. What is your pfr? And what limit do you play?
      im playing poker 4 months so my sample size is 60k hands as thats all ive played.
      ive moved up through the limits and currently playing NL100 at full tilt although i now have the bank roll to play NL400. i have consistantly dominated the limits ive played but i havent moved up due to distractions in the place i play, i need a better secluded setup.

my stats are vpip 15.9, Pfr 12.5, 3bet 7, steal % 50, Agg 3.0

i would agree its very very lose for a sss player but i do exploit opportunity and play very much to the players at the table as much as to the cards.

i would be intersted to hear your thoughts and experiences with SSS?