Raising for a free showdown

• csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      I don't really understand this concept. I guess you use it when in position so you re-raise on turn so that the river may go chk chk but i dont understand when to use it as if you just call down it still uses the same number of bets.

Enlighten me :D
  • 6 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I'm not very in explaining so I try it with a sample:

You have A-high and a flush draw and your opponment bets the turn.
      Here you can improve to your flush and win with the raise 1 more bet (bet river of course) and if you don't improve you get a free showdown and in a few situation you win with A-high. He maybe even folds weaker hands on the turn so you win this too (if he holds a weak pair)

Hope that made it clear
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      There are generally two situations where a free showdown raise makes sense:

1. There is the possibility that villain will fold a better hand.
      Example:
      Villain raises, you call with 6:club: 7:club: . The flop comes A:club: T:spade: 5:heart: . Villain bets, you make a (bad) call. Turn is 8:club: . Villain bets again. You now have an OESD and a flushdraw , so you will at least call the turn bet. But if you raise, you might get villain to fold a pockets like 22,33,44...and hands like KT, QT, JT, which are all better than your hand. So this is a good spot for raising for a free showdown.

2) Villain is most likely on a draw.
      Example:
      Villain bets, you raise with 88, villain calls. Flop comes 2:heart: 3:heart: 4:heart: and villain checkraises you. On this flop of lowcards he often just has a draw (he raised preflop so a lowcards are unlikey). You call and the turn comes K:spade: . Villain bets and you raise with the intention to check behind on the river. If you decide to call him down instead, he might check/fold the river if he doesnt hit his draw, so with the raise you get 2BB at least.
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      Forget the first example, this is more a semibluffraise. Would be a freeshowdownraise if you had showdownvalue.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ulek
      Forget the first example, this is more a semibluffraise. Would be a freeshowdownraise if you had showdownvalue.

in other words: #2 to my post :D for 1)
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      I could just post a "#2" behind every post you make, but that would just be too easy.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ulek
      I could just post a "#2" behind every post you make, but that would just be too easy.
      thank you :)