This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Open Limpers in the small blind...

• Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      I was wondering how the rest of the big stack strategists respond in the big blind when the small blind open limps? I have adopted a strategy to raise 100% no matter what my cards, this is based on the amount of times i take it down pre-flop as well as taking it down post flop in position, with the initiative, i find they fold very often to my c-bet even if they decide to call pre-flop.

Just wondered others views on this or if they thought this was drastically wrong. Also, i do realise that this situation will hardly ever occur at higher limits but im currently playing NL10 and it happens quite regulary.

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      100% is too loose. I know not many people think when playing, but if someones a thinking player they will pick up on this and limp strong hands to get action from you. Calm down you maniac. :f_p:
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      SheepMoose, what Joshquan is saying is that it's profitable to PFR a SB open limper simply because there are not enough 'thinking' players online.

To simplify - hypothetical example - 9 times out of 10, the open limper is a 'non-thinking' player.

Say you're playing NL200, you raise to $6 after SB open limps. 9 times out of 10, you will win $2 or aprox. $8(depening on wether they folded pre flop or on flop to a cbet).

To me, it actually sounds like a very - plausable - profitable +EV line.

My own stats would probably be around 70-80% - atleast - when it comes to the thread topic.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      well if you look at the odds;

There will be 2BB in the pot (my big blind and the SB's limp) and i usully bet 4BB into it presenting odds of 4:2 therefore the limper has to fold 66.6% of the time for this move to be profitable, and on NL10 from my experience this is definatly happening.

Also, this doesnt not include the the chance i can actualy hit a hand on the flop, or take it down even when i miss with a c-bet.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      I was wondering how the rest of the big stack strategists respond in the big blind when the small blind open limps? I have adopted a strategy to raise 100% no matter what my cards, this is based on the amount of times i take it down pre-flop as well as taking it down post flop in position, with the initiative, i find they fold very often to my c-bet even if they decide to call pre-flop.

Just wondered others views on this or if they thought this was drastically wrong. Also, i do realise that this situation will hardly ever occur at higher limits but im currently playing NL10 and it happens quite regulary.

Thanks
      i found it profitable when i played NL10 and i did the same as u. but bear in mind that stealing and restealing is a lot more complex as u move up the limits, for example i wouldnt say its profitable at NL100 to do this 100% of the time. i certainly dont do it on higher limits.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      yes i do appriciate this, thanks for the reply.