Open Limpers in the small blind...

• Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      I was wondering how the rest of the big stack strategists respond in the big blind when the small blind open limps? I have adopted a strategy to raise 100% no matter what my cards, this is based on the amount of times i take it down pre-flop as well as taking it down post flop in position, with the initiative, i find they fold very often to my c-bet even if they decide to call pre-flop.

Just wondered others views on this or if they thought this was drastically wrong. Also, i do realise that this situation will hardly ever occur at higher limits but im currently playing NL10 and it happens quite regulary.

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      100% is too loose. I know not many people think when playing, but if someones a thinking player they will pick up on this and limp strong hands to get action from you. Calm down you maniac. :f_p:
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      SheepMoose, what Joshquan is saying is that it's profitable to PFR a SB open limper simply because there are not enough 'thinking' players online.

To simplify - hypothetical example - 9 times out of 10, the open limper is a 'non-thinking' player.

Say you're playing NL200, you raise to $6 after SB open limps. 9 times out of 10, you will win $2 or aprox. $8(depening on wether they folded pre flop or on flop to a cbet).

To me, it actually sounds like a very - plausable - profitable +EV line.

My own stats would probably be around 70-80% - atleast - when it comes to the thread topic.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      well if you look at the odds;

There will be 2BB in the pot (my big blind and the SB's limp) and i usully bet 4BB into it presenting odds of 4:2 therefore the limper has to fold 66.6% of the time for this move to be profitable, and on NL10 from my experience this is definatly happening.

Also, this doesnt not include the the chance i can actualy hit a hand on the flop, or take it down even when i miss with a c-bet.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      I was wondering how the rest of the big stack strategists respond in the big blind when the small blind open limps? I have adopted a strategy to raise 100% no matter what my cards, this is based on the amount of times i take it down pre-flop as well as taking it down post flop in position, with the initiative, i find they fold very often to my c-bet even if they decide to call pre-flop.

Just wondered others views on this or if they thought this was drastically wrong. Also, i do realise that this situation will hardly ever occur at higher limits but im currently playing NL10 and it happens quite regulary.

Thanks
      i found it profitable when i played NL10 and i did the same as u. but bear in mind that stealing and restealing is a lot more complex as u move up the limits, for example i wouldnt say its profitable at NL100 to do this 100% of the time. i certainly dont do it on higher limits.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      yes i do appriciate this, thanks for the reply.