[NL2-NL10] SSS J5s limped

• luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I was in late position and I decided to limp with J5s since there was a lot of dead money in the pot already. I might hit a flush/flushdraw, trips or 2pair, otherwise it would be an easy fold. Even top pair would be c/f.
      Flop shows a 5 and a K, so c/f. Turn shows a J and I make 2pair and decide to push. Why? Because there were a lot of people in the pot and I expected at least one of them to have a J or a low K and I expected a call from either one of them. I also was scared of a flush and wanted people to fold flushdraws or at least make their calls -EV. If calling flushdraw is -EV, calling OESD or gutshot is also -EV. I wasn't afraid of sets or 2pair because they had been given lots of time to show they would have one of those hands since I was in late position.

I hope someone can give me some feedback on my preflop limp call or turn push. Do you agree with my analysis or should I have folded this hand pre-flop? Was my turn push too big or was it just right given the circumstances?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $0.38
      BB:
      $2.82
      UTG2:
      $1.23
      MP1:
      $1.83
      MP2:
      $4.58
      MP3(Hero):
      $0.40
      CO:
      $0.96
      BU:
      $2.14

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5, J.
      CO posts deadblind, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, CO checks, BU folds, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.13) 5, K, 4 (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.13) J (6 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero raises to $0.38(All-In), CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.38.
  • 2 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Luitzen,

Limping with J5s is far from being +EV. So definitely fold flop.

As played I'd bet pot-size/push on turn.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luitzen
      I was in late position and I decided to limp with J5s since there was a lot of dead money in the pot already. I might hit a flush/flushdraw, trips or 2pair, otherwise it would be an easy fold.
      Any 2 Suited
      11.79% FD+
      3.49% TwoPair+
      --------------------
      15.28% -> 1 : 5.5
      You get 4.5:1 thus I fold moreover 5.5:1 is regarding a Big stack so with a Shortstack you should limp in any 2 suited when you get 7.5:1+ ;)

Apart from slowplaying 55/44 & spiking KJ, I think a shove is ok in a 6-way pot but I really really fold preflop! If one cannot complete any 2 suited with a BSS, then one cant do this as well as a SSp

Best regards,
      Gerv