[NL20-NL50] NL25 SH J8s straight on paired board

• koaesica
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:diamond: , 8:diamond:
      MP2 raises to $0,50, Hero calls $0,50, CO raises to $1,25, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0,75, Hero calls $0,75.

Flop: ($4,10) A:diamond: , Q:spade: , K:spade: (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($4,10) T:heart: (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $3,25, CO folds, MP2 calls $3,25.

River: ($10,60) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $10,60,

Would I get any value by pushing river or do I only call?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      I would fold that to the minraise preflop, not even sure it's gonna be profitable to overcall after the small 3bet getting 4:1. I feel it's just a bad speculative hand to play passively against people doing weird stuff that we can't really assign a range to.

As played i don't think you can push the river, i don't see him do that with many worse hands unless he's nuts and it's pure air, in which case he won't call a shove anyway. He likely either has a J or had 2 pairs he didn't raise for whatever reason and rivered a boat. Maybe QT would explain why he didn't bet the flop and didn't raise the turn with a mediocre 2 pairs. My guess would be you're splitting often here. Shoving doesn't really have any upside.
    • Kaitz20
      I think 3-bet pf is better than just flatting. This way you can isolate weaker player and likely ahve position over him, so you often take pot down postflop.
      I´d just call river, he has there mostly Jx, some bluff or boat. Don´t think player would bet/call there with trips.