VIP Status Display Options

• cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      It makes sense to me that having 4+ stars showing by your name compared to none at all could have at least some impact on your table image in the eyes of certain players, particularly at low limits where they have no hope of reaching a high VIP status.

Can anyone comment on having either observed or suspected some truth behind this statement? Do you think that that players might perceive you as bluffing less or something?

I am almost positive that it must make at least a small difference, so would this be +EV or -EV for:

1.An advanced SSS'er.
      2.A TAG STT SNG player.

I await your replies with great interest.
  • 26 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      It makes sence to disable it when you are grinding heavily on a lot of tables, you simply get recognised a lot less often. That's also why avatars are wildly -EV imo.
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      In my experience, it makes me pay more attention to his play. The other day I was playing a $11 STT and there was a guy with 4 stars. I checked his stats and saw he had some big scores, and his avg BI was $30. Apparently he had cashed out, bc no downswings were showing. I saw he was TAG so I continually played accordingly. We ended HU, and eventually he sucked out on me, he called my AJ push with j9 and hit the 9. His push range was pretty wide from what I noticed too. Although I take notes on players I was paying special attention because of his 4 stars: either he was a rich fish or a very good player. I still don't know which...
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      So, you guys will be more apt to pay attention to that players play and adjust accordingly?

Would you call this player more loosely or tightly in the push/fold portion of an sng, or is this entirely dependent upon what you remember/what notes you take?

How about call/raising a cbet, check/raise, or 3-bet from a 4-star short stack at NL50?

I am debating both status display and avatar use.
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      I'd say it definitely make a difference in the way some people perceive them.

I know if I'm in an MTT, and i see a 3 or 4 star i usually look them up online.

I think you'd be taken more seriously... avatar is just regulars will recognize you more, which I don't think you could put to use as much as showing vip status or not. But quite interesting idea, I hope to see what other people think!
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I'd probably loosen up, cause I know he isn't necessarily playing to the strength of his hand. I don't have an avatar or display my lousy bronze star. I feel it's a tell. I prefer being a ghost.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Too bad it's impossible to remove an avatar once you have one :( .

I like to seat near bronze stars during ring games since they're usually bad. And supernovas are usually nitty/TAGs. But that's just an assumption, when I get stats I act according to them and according to my gameplay observations. Some supernovas are really bad :P .
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I used to give much credit to supernovas, but regular supernovas at nl25 are just bad players tight/weak that got crushed at higher stakes and had to move down. platinum ones are mass multitabling nits at my stakes.
      It's -EV to show your VIP status. imo.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      +1 it's -EV to show your VIP status.
      +1 it's bad idea to have an avatar.
      +1 it's stupid you can't remove your avatar.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Yeah, I thought about displaying my stars...but decided that any information is bad information. I know if I see a Bronzestar I treat them differently than a Supernova, so why give them that information for me?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Being a bronze star for deception would be cool :D .
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Primzi
      +1
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Originally posted by Primzi
      +1
      yay I'm broncestar going to show my status then :D :D :D ::D
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      What's so bad about avatars? If regs recognize you quickly it's ok since regs don't want to play against other regs most of the time. (at cash)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      well you give out information too quickly , at sng's if people see the same avatar on 10 tables it's safe for them too think you can play a good game (push loose, play tight at the beggining and that stuff)

cash game probably won't matter since good regs will have a ton of hands of you with or without avatar :rolleyes:
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      + it's a lot easier for other players to find patrons in your play, since they recognise you easier even when 20 tabling.

When I'm playing 20 sng's and see the same clownface pushing into me on all my tables I know he's loose, if he didn't have an avatar it would have been harder to spot.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Interesting topic this.

I dunno wether deleting an avatar is possible, although i have had mine changed quite a few times. You could always email support :P

-Jack
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      Two other things besides VIP status display and player images:

Sharkcope: Should we block access to our statistics if we are a consistent winner?

Bet sizing: What psychological effect might increasing or decreasing your bet sizes by say 1% to give a weird number that is not rounded to a blind? Might an opponent respond differently to an open raise from late position of 61 chips vs 60 chips at a 10/20 blind level?
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cyzo
      Bet sizing: What psychological effect might increasing or decreasing your bet sizes by say 1% to give a weird number that is not rounded to a blind? Might an opponent respond differently to an open raise from late position of 61 chips vs 60 chips at a 10/20 blind level?
      Interesting question. I've seen people do this, and it certainy got some attention in the chatbox. I think it could probably cause people to think something about you, not sure what though.
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Those 61 chips bets are so annoying... However, when you type down the amount instead of using the slider it definitely has a psychological effect. The bet looks as if it has a purpose, rather than just betting because its standard. I like bets ending in 15, 35 or 65.