odds on this

• justgeo
      justgeo
      Bronze
      last week i was playing a sit n go on pacific and the strangest thing cropped up that i would imagine will not happen too often and the odds against it must be huge.
      during the game, the player to my right was dealt pocket queens 3 times.
      now, during a multitable tournament i have had kk twice before with qq once, jj twice and 99 three times, but that was over a 3 1/2 hour period. this happened in like 45 mins max.
      i was just curious to know if anyone had any idea what the odds were against this happening.
      needless to say i was not best pleased as i went up against him twice!! i was ready to swear when it happened the third time! :evil:
  • 4 replies
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      I was dealt AA _4_ times in a row in a SNG once. Beat that.

I can't really answer your question, but you will see such from time to time. :P

Edit: I'll give it a try.

P(QQ) = 1/221
      P(QQ*3 times) 1/221 * 1/221 * 1/221 = 1/10793861

Let's say 40 hands are dealt during the 45 mins (have no idea if this is correct, never played on that site).

40/10793861*100= 0.000371 % (dunno if this is the right way to do it)

Anyone feel free to correct me, I suck at math lol.
    • dcmcfyl
      dcmcfyl
      Bronze
      Well, there are 52C2 possible combinations you can be dealt, which I believe works out to 1326. Of those, there are 6 that give you pocket queens. So the odds of being dealt pocket queens = 6/1326 = 0.0045. So the odds of being dealt pocket queens three times in a row = 3^0.0045 = 9.1125e-8. So roughly the odds of that happening are 1/11,000,000 assuming I did the math correct. I don't have a nCr button on my calculator and I did the calculation quickly, so I could of made a mistake.

edit: forgot that you have 45 minutes for this to happen. The odds I calcuated w ould be the odds of this happening in just three hands. Another thing to consider is there is more than one person at the table so not only have to consider how many hands were dealt in that 45 minutes, but how many players were in each hand. That is of course, assuming you know when someone has pocket queens. They could be forced to fold them before reaching a showdown.
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      in the space of 5 hands on a cash table, i was dealt AA 3 times, and KK once to go with it so it does happen.
    • Vasco911
      Vasco911
      Bronze
      I once hit 4 sets in a row on the flop once. Just yesterday I got A/Q off 4 times in a row. I went busto on the 4th A/Q lol.

It was on a .01/.02 game, I was working on the ShortStackStrategy with SitnGo profit so no big loss. :D