[NL2-NL10] NL5 54o BB

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Wondering if I played this hand ok? You might not like my minimum bets/raise, but here's my reasoning, does it make sense?

After the flop, I knew I pretty much had the pot won, so wanted opponents to slowly put their money in the pot, as a big bet here would probably alarm them and make them fold.

I'm also surprised he didn't raise preflop with AA, if he did, I would have folded. So I guess his bad play preflop gave me a opportunity.

At the turn I went all in at a point where he can't back down. If I went all in after his first raise, I thought he might have folded.

So is my play ok in this hand? Or should I have gone all in much earlier and bet much larger?

Thanks

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $4.30
      CO:
      $4.48
      BU:
      $4.03
      SB:
      $2.55
      BB(Hero):
      $4.87
      UTG2:
      $8.39
      MP1:
      $2.92
      MP2:
      $6.31

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 4.
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.15) 7, 3, 6 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.05, MP3 raises to $0.1, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.15, MP3 calls $0.05.

Turn: ($0.45) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, MP3 raises to $0.7, Hero raises to $2, MP3 raises to $3.3, Hero raises to $4.6, MP3 calls $0.80.

River: ($9.15) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $9.15.

Results follow (highlight to see):

Hero shows a straight, eight high (5s 4c)
      MP3 shows two pairs, aces and sevens (Ac Ad)
      Hero wins with a straight, eight high (5s 4c).
  • 6 replies
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Now come to think of it, he probably misclicked preflop.

After all being a real money player and not knowing to raise preflop with AA is just terrible.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      Now come to think of it, he probably misclicked preflop.

After all being a real money player and not knowing to raise preflop with AA is just terrible.
      People try to trap by limping with aces. Or they limp/raise, He probably didn't misclick.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      These minraises doesn´t work so well. If he wants to pay you off, he pays (as he would have done it with AA); if not, he folds. And you give him free cards with minraising. (for backdoor flushdraw etc).
      And in NL5 limping with AA seems to be standard for some players (even with QQ KK).
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      You might not like my minimum bets/raise, but here's my reasoning, does it make sense?
      After the flop, I knew I pretty much had the pot won, so wanted opponents to slowly put their money in the pot, as a big bet here would probably alarm them and make them fold.
      I'll make it clear: DO NOT MIN-BET.
      It's a bad move, you should stop using it if you want to progress.
      By min-raising :
      -you lose value,
      -you don't protect your hand by giving good odds to our opponent to call.
      -When you min-bet often with strong hands you are becoming readable.

To the hand:

When you bet small here - you turn on the alarm for your opponent.
      When I see a small bet it will get me think. why does this guy is betting so small?
      (people do it from several reasons, sometimes it's a pattern which make my ability to read the the player much simpler)
      If you make a standard 2/3 bet with your strong hands as long as with other marginal or drawing hands you are giving your opponents hard time,as it would be harder for them to read you.

so bet a standard 2/3 bet pot which won't reveal how strong your hand. if you decided to 3bet, then 3bet and don't min-bet form the above mentioned reasons.

On the turn, go broke.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice.

So it's never really ok to min bet/raise, even in these situations?

- I hit a quad on the flop?
      - A straight flush on the flop?

Even though the above situations are very unlikely, if they do ever happen, would small bet or even checking be beneficial? Checking if I'm the first to act and there are still a good number of players involved.
    • Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      Well, after thinking for some time, I can invent some hypothetic situation where a minraise might be good:
      * You play against a bad opponent
      * You have stone-cold nuts
      * You have shown weakness on the flop
      * Villain bets the turn, and you don't think he will call your shove, but will be committed if he calls the minraise
      If all of the above is true, minraise can be an option. But in general, any deviation from a normal bet size is a huge tell about the strength of your hand. There usually is a better line. For example, if you flop quads while not being a preflop aggressor and OOP, you can play check/call flop check/raise turn shove river. If you're IP, you can call a bet on the flop and raise turn. If you decide to raise, raise normally. Minraise is bad for 2 reasons: first, you miss an opportunity to build up a pot, and second, you create a suspicion about the strength of your hand by deviating from your normal pattern
      At least that's what I think :)