Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.45
      MP3:
      $9.10

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:diamond: , 6:heart:
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) 8:diamond: , 7:heart: , 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, MP3 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.65) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30.

River: ($1.25) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, MP3 raises to $2.50, Hero calls $1.15 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.95

- Hows the bet sizing? Do I need to bet more on the turn to protect?

- What do we make of the river? Easy call? A lot of hands beat us. I think a fold is still a possibility.
  • 4 replies
    • crazyguy
      crazyguy
      Bronze
      first off all it is important to tink how you want to spread you whole stack over three round of betting if you flop such a great hand.
      so protection is not necessary here.
      so you only bet for value.

the flop bet is fine. potbet would be a little better I think.
      turnbet is to small. when you bet so small you can never go all-in on the river. so I think a turnbet of about 50 a 55 cents is better.
      that way you have only $1.60 behind in a pot of $1.70 and that would be a great all-in.
      that way you won't make any overbets on a particular street.
      what kind of hands where you thinking about that could beat you?
      i don't think villain has a K in his hand because he would at leat raise the turn also a set would have raised the flop or the turn. so I don't think a fold is good here
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Nice point about the bet sizing. I did actually silently curse myself for not being able to push the river without overbetting.

With regard to the river all the hands TJ, 77, 88, 99, KK, K9, K8, K7 beat us. However I cannot see someone pushing the river unless they hold something.

I agree that sets and KK are unlikely given preflop and flop but I am concerned that there aren't many hands that could push that we beat.

Spoiler: (Highlight to see)
      I actually lost this hand to a higher straight with TJ. Flopping second nuts against the nuts was pretty unlucky. I think I have value by getting the money in here.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I bet $0.4 or $0.45 on turn for value. Shove River.

No way can we lay down our hand on river. We have a very good hand even if sets have now turned FH to beat us we can't let it go for our shortstack.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Phil,

You argue that
      What do we make of the river? Easy call? A lot of hands beat us. I think a fold is still a possibility.
      Well this is not true as DaPhunk says, only a Set or K7/8/9 has you backdoored.

I would bet Potsized Flop, 66-75% Turn depending how drawheavy the board is going to be and then you would have to shove on the River since the Pot is the same size as your Stack.

Your goal in this hand is to build up the Pot to be all-in eventually. At the same time you have to protect as soon as the board becomes drawheavy (=betting more)

Best regards,
      Gerv