SnG or No limit?

• 13 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I'v been playing poker 2 years, the first 1 1/2years i only played Cash games, the last 6months 95% of my play has been S&Gs. IMO S&G's (9seated) are more profitable than cash games...agian IMO. S&G's are generally more swingy though.

I think you best bet would be to play 1c/2c cash games, grind up to say $100 then play $2 + 0.25 S&G's...IMO, but at the end of the day its your choice.
    • justgeo
      justgeo
      Bronze
      i blow hot and cold with cash games at PL and NL. i prefer the set up with SnG. the games are shorter, better paced and teach a lot about folding. you dont last long in a decent sit n go playing bad hands unless you are very lucky.
      so maybe the best approach is to mix it up a bit and see what suits you better. after all, a lot of the time it comes down to preferance. i have a couple of mates who are great cash players, but terrible tournament players. thats down to playing long sessions on cash tables with frequent breaks. i love it when we all join in tourneys, i know that most of the time i will be in with a great chance of taking our own side pot that we set up, easy money, lol. but i would never play them on a cash table, i could not afford it.
      so in a nutshell, all games have pros and cons and when you find what suits you best or which is most profitable, go for it.
      good luck
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      FL
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      SNGs FTW!!!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Poker requieres a lot of discipline and patience no matter what style u pick. It's difficult and it's not nearly as easy to turn in month after month of solid profits. NOTHING IS EASY when it comes to poker NOTHING! So please don't pick a style just because a few ppl say it's easy to beat or something.

However considering ur bankroll it's not exactly easy to go around experimenting with poker. I've spent a lot of time playing NL SH and more recently SnGs. Comparing the two I'd have to say it should be faster for u to build up ur bankroll with SnGs but only if u can stick to the strategies and learn to play a solid game. I feel SnGs will punish ur BR a lot faster in some ways then normal cash games would when u are not playing ur A game.

So my advice to u is this: watch videos of all the types and try find out which ones attracts u the most. Consider this ur first task on ur way to becoming a good poker player :)
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      Poker requieres a lot of discipline and patience no matter what style u pick. It's difficult and it's not nearly as easy to turn in month after month of solid profits. NOTHING IS EASY when it comes to poker NOTHING! So please don't pick a style just because a few ppl say it's easy to beat or something.

However considering ur bankroll it's not exactly easy to go around experimenting with poker. I've spent a lot of time playing NL SH and more recently SnGs. Comparing the two I'd have to say it should be faster for u to build up ur bankroll with SnGs but only if u can stick to the strategies and learn to play a solid game. I feel SnGs will punish ur BR a lot faster in some ways then normal cash games would when u are not playing ur A game.

So my advice to u is this: watch videos of all the types and try find out which ones attracts u the most. Consider this ur first task on ur way to becoming a good poker player :)
      This tbh.

I would say that in the early stages of BR building SnGs will be more profitable, but then there is a point where i think that No-Limit cash games take over and become a lot more profitable.

But really you should play what you like most - overall you should play poker for fun and as a hobby ;)

-Jack
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      if im on a cooler for cash games i play mostly sng till i feel its passed it costs me less in the long run

I play NL Cash most of the time though and sometimes some MTT

depending on yoru style of play and your versatility with poker try both you will find what works for you

I would say SSS is your best bet to start if you choose cash games it takes more patience but patience is rewarded

For SNG i would almost stick to the SSS starting hands chart to start and play the hands agressivley

once you have more experience with post flop play and selective aggression you can open up your range

either format you learn at the starting stages fancy bluffs and traps are a waste and will most likely bite you stick to the strategys and save fancy stuff for higher limits :)
    • En3rGie21
      En3rGie21
      Bronze
      tnks all for the opinions...the reason I asked is because I read a post that says that 1$ sngs aren't profitable because of the rake...and only from the 11$ sng`s they start to be profitable and for the cash part...I don't know , playing 1c/2c and making 2$ profit/h and 0.000001 PartyPoker points :D ( for the bonus) on 6 tables us kinda`frustrating :(
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by En3rGie21
      tnks all for the opinions...the reason I asked is because I read a post that says that 1$ sngs aren't profitable because of the rake...and only from the 11$ sng`s they start to be profitable and for the cash part...I don't know , playing 1c/2c and making 2$ profit/h and 0.000001 PartyPoker points :D ( for the bonus) on 6 tables us kinda`frustrating :(
      Ye NL2 is really boring.. thats why starting with ur 50usd the BSS isnt the best option..
      Well i personaly went down to 20usd with SSS and then started NL2 BSS with 20usd making my way up :D So that is frustrating mate!=)
      I would probably start with sngs, but thats just because of my own bad SSS experience, SSS works, but can hurt you =)
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I started making real money (like 5$ in an hour or two, not that much but it's 2 beers here) when i switched to NL BSS. With SSS i lost money, and even if it is profitable i'm not confortable with the swings. About the same about SnG's.
      The only tournaments i play are the big ones (300+) and generally perform miserably due to my crappy luck (today I lost 70% of my stack with KKK on the flop to a player with a flush draw and the rest pre-flop again with KK to AJ), but i don't mind to much since generally i make more in cash games (yesterday was the record, made about 15$ NL4 in about 600 hands :f_biggrin: ).

Don't know why JuiceQuandre says that BSS is not the best choice, but as I said, for me it's definately the way to go. (from 45$ to 150$ in 1 1/2 months).
      Hope it helps (oh, in cash games it's also nice the fishing part, to take notes and stay at the table with the fish until you leave him broke).
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      you can play strictly sss NL 0.5/0.10, get bad beats in a row and lose bankroll - basically sss is very easy, just follow the chart and hope for the best - because you end up moving all-in with AA and losing to 62o or something

sng = i think it's much better and more fun to play, SnG 1$ isn't that bad, you can work your way up quite easily but you have to know who you are playing against (complete donks, so never bluff them, they'll just call with complete air and get lucky), so i'd say get some basics, see how the SnG is generally played, and then try for yourself

there is a good video by tribuncaesar with 1$ SnG, released not long ago, you might wanna check it out :D (it's for bronze rank so not that hard to gain access to watch it)
    • En3rGie21
      En3rGie21
      Bronze
      yeah ... but really tribuncaesar said that 1$ sngs aren't profitable cuz` of the rake...so...I don't know what to choose.
    • lenka12345
      lenka12345
      Bronze
      play 2$ SnG if avaible on your platform.