[NL2-NL10] NL400 Postflop AJ. Is this play too basic?

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Party Poker $400.00 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $94.70
      SB: $400.00
      BB: $402.00
      UTG: $475.87
      UTG+1: $90.58
      UTG+2: $90.80
      MP1: $438.15
      MP2: $188.07
      Hero (CO): $68.00

Pre Flop: ($6.00) Hero is CO with A :spade: J :heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $4, 3 folds, Hero raises to $18, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $14

Flop: ($42.00) 8 :spade: 5 :diamond: 8 :heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($42.00) 5 :club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $25.00, UTG+1 folds

Villain;

I'm making a wild stab in the dark here and assuming that Villain plays very simply. Calling or making a move when he has something, simply folding when he doesn't. I would like to think he is only thinking about the cards he holds; Pair, A high, Call! Trips, Raise! Anything Else; Fold.

This is why I decide to play basic SSS cbet normally. The board is hard for him to hit and my cbet should be +EV.

Edit; Ok, what the fuck. How did i manage to post this hand without realising i delayed my cbet to turn....
  • 7 replies
    • Padde
      Padde
      Bronze
      Flop: cbet 22$ -> call a push (just 20% equity need, 2OC)
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      what the fuck. How did i manage to post this hand without realising i delayed my cbet to turn....
      lol, why didn't you bet the flop?
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maya1984
      lol, why didn't you bet the flop?
      I can't remember my logic at the time but it might be that I can't rep anything. I'm certainly not getting any better hands to fold and i'm not getting any worse hands to call.

This is a board where I now check back my monsters on occasion on flop for bluff induce to balance my line with a hand like AJ or AK. Turn is then a bad spot to bluff so he may well respect me more and he would certainly have bet a better hand than mine by now. I valuebet A high! I expect some calls from some odd broadway K highs on rare occasions if he doesn't believe me. He is incapable of bluffCheckraising so i don't have to worry about that.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Mark,

As Padde suggests, it is better to c-bet now than try a delayed c-bet and possibly folding on the Turn due Villain's bet.

My first thought was also a delayed c-bet but mathematically speaking you can call a c/r and you even can be ahead then.

Due his relatively high c/r % + low f2cbet, I would c-bet this.

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Interesting. What hands do you think he is C/Raising this flop with? Pairs or better and some broadway combos? Maybe with his hecticly large VPIP he c/raises Ace rag....

I would like another opinion on my NL400 hands please. I would appreciate if you left them unjudged so that in the (possibly unlikely) event that ysessa or IngolPoker are online they'e more likely to look at them, just in case they have anything to add. Thanks.

That doesn't mean I don't welcome your comments of course.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      how about just checking it down or mini-betting turn to get value from K high or on some other turn cards value from worse A high and draws?

anyway, against such a loose player on this board with ace high i'm definately going for a line that maximizes SD value
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      yay, the white knight is here :D

i just bet the flop against this station, if he calls, shove the turn for value

there is no reason to assume that he always has a hand + there is no reason to assume he will cr often as a bluff because he thinks you cant rep anything (hey! its a fish!)

as played the turnbet is fine imo, you are ahead in nearly 99% of the cases, so just bet and take the pot down