Stack
      BB:
      $48.00
      Hero:
      $50.00
      BU:
      $9.25

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:spade: , K:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 3 folds, BU calls $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1.00.

Flop: ($4.75) Q:club: , 4:spade: , A:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($4.75) 2:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $3.00, BU calls $3.00, BB folds.

River: ($10.75) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.37, BU raises to $4.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $20.87

When he checks flop I figure an A would bet for protection, so I bet turn for value in case he has a draw or a Q. I later found out he wasn't a rational player.
      On river I put him all in since I dont think I can fold there anyway.
  • 6 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think it is fine
      I´d only bet flop myself, your still get called by a lot with worse hands
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I think it is fine
      So its b/f flop with KK in this spot?
      If he calls flop, what do I do if he bets turn or river with his minstack? Aren't I committed?
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      I like your flop / turn line. Both players are capable of flatting preflop with an ace, though we would hope BB isnt silly enough to often try slowplaying top pair, but the fishy BU is still concerning. Giving him a chance to bet a strong ace isnt a bad idea.

On the turn we can stab both to try and close down the pot and to avoid having to pay a set or 2 pair or flush that hits on 5th street.

Once we get called to the river, what makes you certain BU will bet, and what makes you think you have any fold equity at all against hands that have you beat, or that any worse hands can call? You can use committed as a reason to call but dont use it as a reason to bet if there is no reasonable reason to bet.

The only likely hands you are value betting against here are Qx, 99-JJ, and this fish is certainly calling every single hand that beats you, which is a far wider range than the calling hands you have beat. Everything else that is likely is either going to check behind or attempt to bluff you, but mostly fold to your bet (pp under the 8, spade draws, maybe even a stupid gutshot like 3x / 5x).

So check-call river. Give the fish a chance to buy his way out of a busted flush draw and avoid isolating against hands that have you beat, because not many hands you have beat can call, but all of them can bluff.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I think it is fine
      So its b/f flop with KK in this spot?
      If he calls flop, what do I do if he bets turn or river with his minstack? Aren't I committed?
      if BB folds, then I´d likely still shove, since he´d likely call with his flushdraw and Qx (he sometimes has there Ax, but for his large vpip his range also consists a lot of weaker hands that would get all-in on the turn)
      So yes you´re committed, but also he is with his worse hands
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      I cbet this flop, fold to a raise/push.
      If get a call from SB then yes you are both committed and I would put him in on turn
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Yea basically on the flop I waited to see if they had the A and after they showed weakness I bet for protection on the turn.

@Jaissica: According to his small sample of stats he seemed to be more of the "I will call you down with any pair" type, than the "I will bluff river everytime you check it to me" type. So I felt the fish would call many bad hands on the river, even if he only had a pair of 2's imo