Moving up limits

• mihninho
      mihninho
      Bronze
      Hello i'm playing NL10 BSS at Titan poker, when do i move up the limits?Now i have 132$ in my account and i'm playing 3 4 tables.
  • 7 replies
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Actually with 132$ you should be playing NL5 not NL10..
      Dont even consider moving to NL20 with that ;)

Im playing NL5 with 200$ now and im gonna move to NL10 with 250..
      This is not just about comfort zone, 13 buy-ins is really too few and risky

Good luck =)
    • k0praonu
      k0praonu
      Bronze
      I have one question about moving up as well. Assuming I follow proper BRM, what should be my win-rate and over how big sample size should it be to say that I can beat a limit and can move up?
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by k0praonu
      I have one question about moving up as well. Assuming I follow proper BRM, what should be my win-rate and over how big sample size should it be to say that I can beat a limit and can move up?
      From the article, hope it helps a bit:

Realistic expectations of profit in No Limit Holdem

The next chapter will help you to judge your results by giving a rough orientation of how large the winrates on the different limits can be expected to be.

The so called winrate is measured in big blinds per 100 hands (BB/100). So if you play 100 hands on NL (5c/10c blinds) with a winrate of 1 BB/100, you win 10 cents. 300 hands would earn you 30 cents. You will get your winrate by multiplying your win (or loss) in big bets with 100 and dividing it by the number of played hands.

Per table you will play around 65 hands per hour. That makes it easy to calculate your winrate for a particular period. As soon as you use software like PokerTracker, you can watch your winrates for different limits there. (PokerTracker presents the winrate in PTBB/100 - the so called PokerTracker big bets. Originally PokerTracker was designed for fixed limit. Therefore the program calculates in big bets which means double the big blind -> 1 PTBB = 2 BB)

But be aware of the fact that the winrate is not really significant until you have played at least 20,000 - better would be 60,000 - hands.

As a beginner, you should be content with any positive winrate: A winrate of 10BB/100 hands (or 5 PTBB, if you have a look at PokerTracker) seems to be a realistic goal. On lower limits and with a greater experience you might be able to have a winrate of 20BB/100 hands.

The values which are mentioned above do not mean that you will or should reach them in any case. A lower winrate is fine, too. Additionally, luck and bad luck play a significant role, especially if you just play a small number of hands on a specific limit. So your result may vary vastly from those values – in both directions. Even if you play really good.
    • usun
      usun
      Bronze
      As for me, I moved from NL 10 to NL 25 only with 750$, as 625$ (25 buy ins) is a standard + about 5 extra buy ins that I can afford to loose due to adaptation on the new limit.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JuiceQuadre
      Actually with 132$ you should be playing NL5 not NL10..
      Dont even consider moving to NL20 with that ;)

Im playing NL5 with 200$ now and im gonna move to NL10 with 250..
      This is not just about comfort zone, 13 buy-ins is really too few and risky

Good luck =)
      this

just what I did:

played Nl10 till $1k --> moved to Nl25
      played NL25 till $2k --> moved to NL50
      played NL50 till $4k --> moved to NL100
      etc.....

tight BRM ftw!

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by k0praonu
      Its hard to say. Please post you current limit, game type, BR and BB/100
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar

this

just what I did:

played Nl10 till $1k --> moved to Nl25
      played NL25 till $2k --> moved to NL50
      played NL50 till $4k --> moved to NL100
      etc.....

tight BRM ftw!