This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL50 AQ, old stack:raise rule

• dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($7.75)
      BB ($57.18)
      UTG ($9.25)
      UTG+1 ($49.94)
      UTG+2 ($35.78)
      MP1 ($9.25)
      Hero ($9.17)
      CO ($42.18)
      BTN ($11.92)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $2, fold, BTN raises to $3.50, fold, fold, Hero raises to $9.17 (AI)

Villain is 33/8, only 42 hands.

I pushed here because of the old stack:raise rule. 2.5:1 up to 4:1 for pushing AQ+, TT+
      However, from villain's stats (calling station type), though the sample is small, I think we can expect a tight 3betting range and fold AQ.

But if that was an unknown, is that rule still good enough? We usually need 37-40% equity for calling 3 bets, and with AQ it's not so easy to get that.
  • 1 reply
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey dandycal,

against complete unknowns I believe this rule is pretty good, you do have to find out what's average player's of your limit range though. But I think up to nl100-200 this rule works fine.

In this hand you're openraising MP3, so I don't think usual 3-bet should be very tight. However, stats indicate he's a calling station and 3-bets tight, but I wouldn't count with 42 hands in sample too much and go broke here.

...if you want to make good going-broke range then you should look at your PFR and see what kind of range will opponents 3-bet you with. Then you can adjust your shoving range against them. However, I'm not sure this will work up to NL100 because for that opponents would need statistics. :)

Regards,
      burek2000