First South African Diamond?

• 18 replies
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Edited by vhallee: no flaming please.

Congratulations with diamond, but does it really make you feel special that you're the first 1 in a country where almost nobody plays online poker?
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Congratulations on your Diamond status, WildBeans! Looking forward to seeing you at our next Black & Diamond Member Party then :f_p:

Best regards,
      vhallee
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi

Congratulations with diamond, but does it really make you feel special that you're the first 1 in a country where almost nobody plays online poker?

Lots (relative to the number of people with internet access) of south africans play online poker, but very few play on international sites. They all play the crap local ones - 3piggs and silversands. In fact if you want to make easy money, you should play on these sites. We even have our own TV poker channel (which is even worse than the poker sites). And a south african has come 3rd in the WSOP main event, I think that made poker grow a bit more.

So yes I do feel special. Like a pioneer :f_biggrin:
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vhallee
      Congratulations on your Diamond status, WildBeans! Looking forward to seeing you at our next Black & Diamond Member Party then :f_p:

Best regards,
      vhallee
      I'd love to make the next party, but PS is going to have to start a travel fund for me for a plane ticket. Maybe you can redirect 1% of everyone's rakeback to a special account, and then after a few months transfer it to my TAF bonus. I'm sure no one would miss a measly 1%. And winning players don't need rakeback anyway. Then I'll come party! :s_cool:
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      When you're Black member elite you get like $2k to pay your flight ^^
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Edited by vhallee: no flaming please.

What do you mean almost nobody? There's me :s_evil:

A genuine no strings attached Congrats WildBeans :f_biggrin:
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hi WildBeans,

Congrats on the diamond status! Maybe you could follow in this fellow south african's foot steps with the short stacking:

Mark Vos made $1.9M this year by short stacking the high stakes tables on Fulltilt...

edited by vhallee: Please do not post these kind of links. Thank you.

"Nebuchad Attacks Mark Vos - "Scum of the Earth"
      The Swedish online poker star Jonas "Nebuchad" Danielsson has called Mark Vos "Scum of the Earth" on his blog.

Mark Vos has made a lot of money in the high-stakes games at Full Tilt Poker lately. So far in 2009, the young Australian is up close to $2 million. Only Gus Hansen, trex313 and Patrik Antonius has won more, according to the HighStakes Database.

The problem Nebuchad has with Vos is that he uses the infamous short-stack strategy. He buys in for the minimum amount in the biggest games and exploits the loose play of Tom "durrrr" Dwan, Gus Hansen and the other high-rollers.

Vos has also been accused of hitting and running - something that many players find disgraceful. One of them is Nebuchad.

"Mark Vos. Tragic figure or smart poker player?" ... "when I look up 'Scum of the Earth' in my book I find rats, cockroaches, parasites, Mark Vos, in that order," Danielsson wrote on his blog in Swedish newspaper Expressen.

Nebuchad also wonders how Vos is able to sleep at night and how he can live with himself.

PokerJunkie agrees that short-stacking and hitting and running aren't the most admirable strategies, but calling people who use them "Scum of the Earth" is a bit harsh.

And we don't understand what this has to do with Nebuchad? He plays at Ladbrokes, not Full Tilt. Vos at least has the guts to play in the biggest games in the world...
      "
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Question From Rodsy08: If u could pick one poker pro to have a boxing match with who would u choose?
      Patrik Antonius: Mark Voss

Hope he does it.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Termi8r
      exploits the loose play of Tom "durrrr" Dwan, Gus Hansen and the other high-rollers.
      "
      Isn't poker a game of exploiting villains weaknesses??? I don't really like the "hit and run" thing either, but he surely is smart if he playes SSS against those players and wins!!
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Well done on the status WildBeans....

...and there are a few South Africans around... even if some are in other parts of the world :f_cool:
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      "Vos was born in Cape Town, South Africa, and attended Waldorf High School in Constantia."
      Funnily enough I live in constantia. I would love to play the high stakes battles and pull my special power moves on nebuchad: Short Stack SMAAASH!!!
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      this thread is so racist :f_o:
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      this thread is so racist :f_o:
      ?
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Maybe your status should be blood diamond :D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      :]
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      haha.

By the way, thanks all for the congrats.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      big congrats from here :D
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Congratulations.