Did i play this right?

• thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      It's the mid stages of a 45 man sit n go and im at the cut off with 99. A guy with 20bbs has limped under the gun and then it's folded round to me. I shove my 11BBs allin and the button and blinds fold. The limper calls and turns JJ. Needless ot say I lost but i was wondering if that was the right play and if there were other options..?
  • 6 replies
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      What did you think about his limp?

By the way, this morning:

10 people $1 sng:

Im in the button with qq. Short stacked, blinds 50/100. My stack is 815. average stack 1600, all very weak limpers, folding at a shove preflop. Utg folds, 2 limpers, next one folds, I go all in, sb folds, bb with 1600 in chips calls. Everybody folds. The call of the bb didn't surprise me. Kind of knew the other ones would fold (even the big stack on the sb. The biggest stack folded before the preflop action got to me). If everybody folded it was nice pot for free. If not, I had a good hand, with my stack and the other players, and how they had played and everything, it felt like an excellent opportunity. I can't remember exactly why I thought he would call me. But there was also a good chance that he would fold. Let's say a coin flip to that. The upside was awsome. The downside: kicked out, but if I didn't make it then, it just wasn't that tourney. He calls me with 99. A 9 flops, no queen everywhere, I'm out. I think the play was perfect. The only thing I ask myself in these cases is: Did I bring myself to the situation where I had to go all-in with bad play or bad luck? so I think what I have to analyse here it is not that particular hand, but what put me to get that stack at that stage.
      Anyway, just to show that for my fellow villain 99s worked very well and probably was an ok play. I wouldn't have called if I was him though. But we are all different :)

Have a nice flop,

S.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      he limped with jacks, you made the right push.
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      thanks for your comments. I guess it comes down to making what you think is the right play and sometimes you'll be ahead sometimes you wont.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Other option is to limp. If you thought the utg was being tricky and limpin with a big hand, usually the case unless the player showed to be very poor. But you realise that quite quickly, and is he lasted this long and made 20bb he might be wanting to see a flop. Limping utg many times it is kind of strong. May be he thought that you were on the button, short stacked, you might try to push, or any other small stack was getting active and he thought they might try to push him out, and he would call/re-raise all-in depending on the case. Or: may be he just limped, and he had you as loose aggressive with a small stack. He was the last one to act pre-flop, he saw the rest folding then, why not? It might be a decent hand for him, and he won't be dead if he looses the hand. And he makes a stand to the rest of the players at the table. I don't know how the game was going and who was being the bully and who were the bullied ones, but it might also be something he considered. Anyway: all that to say: the other option is to limp, see a flop. You will have position. ooohhh, there is another option I can see now: raise and then all-in in position on the flop if you smell weakness. Raising it is a little bit tricky, but might help if he only calls. If he reraise you all in, and you know your villain's range then you have to make a decision again. If you go all-in, then no difference with what you did. If you fold, then you are still in all-in position, smaller stack than before, but you got a try. That was your play. You can't afford more than that and after that is all-in for you. But you took your chances. If he calls you, then he will probably check to you. You can chose what to do then depending on how everything is looking.
      Sorry, I think this might be all too much information, lol. I can keep going, better stop here. I hope that helped.
      Have a nice flop!

S.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      with 11 bb please don't limp

shove all in, unlucky if he was slowplaying a better pair.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      UTG limp is pretty often meaning a strong hand, of course he can just have smaller pocket pair as well if he is an idiot. If the limper is good/reg, fold. If the limper is weak (will fold KQs, etc), shove. If the limper is an idiot, shove because you are ahead of his range.