how to react to min. raise / reraise

• 18 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by raun
      as the title says, how should i react to min. raise and reraise`?

just as a normal raise/reraise`?

or weaker or stronger ?
      When, where ,what and with how many?
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      yes i suppose it does depend on the situation. it just happens in so many different situations that i dont know where to start.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      min-raise shows a lot more strength then a regular raise when playing against fishy or average opponents.

They want to extract value and don't want you to fold.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      yeah in some situations it definately seems so. especially in regards to min. reraises.

but other players seem to min raise first in from EP or MP with hands that ppl would usually limp with like small/medium pp's instead of just calling.

others min raise in the same situations with monsters.

hmm i guess i really need to start using notes come to think of it that would certainly help me in those situations.

i just often find myself too busy to write/read notes while multitabling.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      First in min-raises are usually not monsters, but limp then min-reraise is.
      Quiet funny because I know what they hold immidiatly and they give me 100bb implied odds for post-flop :) so I can almost call with any 2.
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      be awear of minraise early though, UTG preflop.

minraise of a

If player 1 checks
      player 2 bets
      player 3 calls
      player 4 min raise

then he probelly have a monster.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stiansk
      be awear of minraise early though, UTG preflop.

minraise of a

If player 1 checks
      player 2 bets
      player 3 calls
      player 4 min raise

then he probelly have a monster.
      and then it can be a dificult choice to make with the good pot odds
    • Katavich
      Katavich
      Bronze
      if I got minraised as 3bet preflop,I call it. If I got minraised when we are deep, then I react based on my opponent/cards, and if my cbet got minraised then I act mostly on my opponent.

I rarely minraise, but I only minraise with monster and when we are deep. And if I notice that they fold to minraise then I bluff/minraise them very often.

I hope it helps :D
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      thanks it does help.

how about this situation: NL25

both utg and utg+1 are unknown.

utg, utg1 and hero all has a stack of 5$

Hero (bu) AQ

utg min raise, utg +1 call, 5 folds, hero???

ppl say to treat these min raise as 2 limpers and so i suppose this would be a push?

too often have i raised/pushed in these situations only to loose against a monster so i think that from now on i will definately treat it as a raise and if the opponent is unknown then also give him a very short range.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by raun
      thanks it does help.

how about this situation: NL25

both utg and utg+1 are unknown.

utg, utg1 and hero all has a stack of 5$

Hero (bu) AQ

utg min raise, utg +1 call, 5 folds, hero???

ppl say to treat these min raise as 2 limpers and so i suppose this would be a push?

too often have i raised/pushed in these situations only to loose against a monster so i think that from now on i will definately treat it as a raise and if the opponent is unknown then also give him a very short range.
      I usually call the min-raise and play Postflop with them.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      What Kyle said. Min-raises usually indicate bad players, except for some circumstances.
      Min-raise donks would be very easy to play against post-flop in position.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      i suppose u have a good point. usually i dont like coldcallling preflop, but i think in this case u are right.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I generally believe that in the limit that I'm playing (NL4) a minraise preflop stands for some suited, rather good cards, ten+ . Maybe suited connectors, 1 gap suited connectors or 2 gap (?), or unsuited connectors. I say this without much proof, and i want to ask you if you consider this to be sound.

Preflop i do my best to ignore minraises and just considering them a call. If i raise i raise 3 times the min raise and very often end the hand right there. If i'm BB and would normally check but i get minraised i'll generally call (i will need 25% or less to win the hand) except when i have total crap like 83o T4o J3o, 23s hands like these.

On the flop if i get minraised from an agressive player i'll sometimes slow down a little with top pair mediocre/bad kicker and if i get minraised from a very loose/tight passive I will generally tend to believe them and just try to go to the showdown as cheap as possible (again with like top pair, with more than that i'm more confident), maybe check calling the turn to a bet of less then 1/2 pot, and doing that again (not very often) with some river joke bet of like 1/4 of the pot.

Is my play wrong?

:f_biggrin:
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      i think that is where the player notes come in handy raun

i play sss if they have open minraised and i have a good starting hand I reraise by betting 3x their minraise, which is not very right but it tells me where im at.

whatever they do after that, i always make player notes with regards to such plays, mentioning position, limit, date and what was the cards they minraised with. i have notes on people who minraise with kk and AA and i tend to flat call them with any 2 suited cards or connectors, as long as neither of the cards is an A or K or Q, as they give me massive implied odds.

nothing more satisfying than cracking aces when the price is right :)

hope this was better help than the post about squeezing sss haha
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      hehe, definately geo :) thanks!

i just find it hard to write notes cause i usually play 12-15 tables.

often i dont see how the hand ends and then i cant remember which table it was at and so on.

how do you other multitable players go about this ?
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      well i multi 6 tables, no hud because of shitty vista malfunctioning.

so i watch all the tables and write notes as much as possible.

if you dont even watch how the hand ends it is not poker you are playing mate, take a step back for a second and watch these little leaks
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      well actually i do that by analyzing the hands in pokertracker after i have played a session.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      i will never get pokertracker with my luck