[NL20-NL50] Nl25Sh - TT

• PetterG2
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , T:heart:
      2 folds, BU raises to $0,85, SB folds, Hero raises to $2,25, BU calls $1,40.

Flop: ($4,60) 5:diamond: , 8:diamond: , 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3,00, BU calls $3,00.

Turn: ($10,60) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6,00, BU calls $6,00.

River: ($22,60) A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $22,60

I'm new to short handed, and I've seen through hands I've played and I see that situations like this one I lose most money from. 3-bettet TT-JJ which get called on the flop when I hold overpair. I feel like giving up on the turn is WAY to weak since a lot of people like to float hands like this on this limit (from what I have experienced at least). How should I play hands like this one? BU had JJ in this case FYI.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

3bet him way bigger preflop, you're giving him incredible odds to just call and see a flop with anything remotely playable, especially if you're tight which means he can expect to have good implied odds against you. Plus this is a steal situation, so he might even call just to show you you can't always 3bet his steals. Make it like 3.5x his raise, or $3.

That's absolutely not the kind of flop you wanna see after giving him great odds to just flat any pocket pair preflop. Still you can't just start check-calling or you'll end up putting yourself in very tough spots playing a guessing game out of position. I would c-bet a little more to show him i mean business, maybe something like $3,6.

Once he calls you flop c-bet he has basically defined his hand as good but not great, i expect him to have some kind of average draw or weak made hand in relation to the board that he doesn't want to get all-in with but doesn't want to fold either. The 9d on the turn hits right in the middle of that range, if he didn't have you beat before the turn he probably does now. I have no problem c/folding that turn on that particular card, as i don't see which worse hands a tag would call again with. If you 3bet preflop, c-bet that kind of flop and again bet on that turn, he has to know the bottom of your range is a good overpair, and he won't ever call unless he can beat that.

The river is mostly a blank, nobody made it this far with Ax unless it's Adxd in which case someone has a made flush already, or a lone Ad which only you can have for a 2nd barreled redraw. You could have AdKd and play it this way so he might be somewhat uncomfortable with a lower flush. Whether his turn call makes sense for a nutish hand like a flush or not is debatable, he could figure raising that turn card looks super strong and he doesn't need to bloat the pot to get you all-in, so just calling waiting to see if you'll shove the river makes sense. In any case i don't think he ever bets himself or call a bet from us with worse hands, and i wouldn't try and shove that river as i don't think you can get him off many hands he has that made it that far. In fact TT-JJ are the only hands he could possibly have that didn't 4bet preflop (and even that is doubtful in a steal situation) and would be scared of that A river. So just c/folding it is fine there too.

Hope that made sense and can help somehow.
    • PetterG2
      Very nice reply. Made me thinking a lot about previous hands I've played that has ended in simular ways and how it could have been avoided. Thx :f_love:
    • Bierbaer
      Tamairlarace mentioned pretty much everything there is to say.