[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH AQ squeeze

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) ($24.23)
      SB ($4.10)
      BB ($21.52)
      UTG ($25.67)
      MP ($27.22)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, A
      UTG bets $0.70, MP calls $0.70, Hero raises $3, 2 folds, UTG calls $2.30, MP calls $2.30

Flop: ($9.30) 4, Q, K (3 players)
      UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($9.30) 2 (3 players)
      UTG bets $5.20, 1 fold, Hero folds

Total pot: $9.30

UTG: 21/14/1.6/23 -- 131hands
      MP: 19/12/4.0 -- 21hands

I saw this was a good squeeze spot, UTG seemed to be open raising a lot and CO would raise if he had a strong hand, so I tried but it went wrong as you can see...

On the flop maybe I should have tried to steal the pot?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      If utg really has been active now that the game is 5-handed then it's fine to squeeze him here. They both seem pretty tight so they will just fold often.

When utg calls you can expect him to have some sort of medium pocket pair 88-JJ or AQ also. I don't think he would flat AK/JJ+ knowing that MP will likely overcall but he might, but maybe he'll call with more speculative stuff like suited connectors or lower pocket pairs knowing it's gonna be 3-way.

MP will overcall with whatever he called to begin with, so probably any pocket pair and good suited connectors.

That's not a bad flop for you, there aren't many Kx in their ranges. I think i would still c-bet it because i will be firing all my air in this spot in the future. If you get called try to check it down. If you get shoved on

- by utg that would be surprising, he still has MP to act behind him, at this point i think i'm dumping the hand even tho i'm getting great odds.
      - by mp he could have two hearts, JT or a mix of the two, i don't see him do that for value with anything really, he doesn't need to. Not sure i would call with a "semibluff" catcher, but i'd consider it.

If i do decide to check the flop i think i'm calling a bet on the turn, people will likely believe you're giving up on your bluff squeeze, plus you have position so you can get away if he fires again on the river.

Hope it helps somehow.
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      If utg really has been active now that the game is 5-handed then it's fine to squeeze him here. They both seem pretty tight so they will just fold often.

When utg calls you can expect him to have some sort of medium pocket pair 88-JJ or AQ also. I don't think he would flat AK/JJ+ knowing that MP will likely overcall but he might, but maybe he'll call with more speculative stuff like suited connectors or lower pocket pairs knowing it's gonna be 3-way.

MP will overcall with whatever he called to begin with, so probably any pocket pair and good suited connectors.

That's not a bad flop for you, there aren't many Kx in their ranges. I think i would still c-bet it because i will be firing all my air in this spot in the future. If you get called try to check it down. If you get shoved on

- by utg that would be surprising, he still has MP to act behind him, at this point i think i'm dumping the hand even tho i'm getting great odds.
      - by mp he could have two hearts, JT or a mix of the two, i don't see him do that for value with anything really, he doesn't need to. Not sure i would call with a "semibluff" catcher, but i'd consider it.

If i do decide to check the flop i think i'm calling a bet on the turn, people will likely believe you're giving up on your bluff squeeze, plus you have position so you can get away if he fires again on the river.
      ###
      Good post, although i think there are (just a few) Kx in UTGs range - some people get scared with AK or KQ, maybe he didn't want to fold KJs.
      You should not only look at what would be the best play of your opponents, but also which mistakes they could make - these mistakes are part of their ranges, too. A rather small part maybe, but it's still there.

I'd still be betting the flop most of the time, but checking it behind sometimes is totally fine.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Sure, i tend to be looking for an excuse to fold rather than for an excuse to call, so more often than not i assign very strong ranges, which is a problem obviously. I'm working on it, thanks for pointing that out :)