Phil Gordon starting hand chart

• DopeBuck
      DopeBuck
      Bronze
      What you think abaut this chart.Its only show how play if no one calling or raising and you are first to act.I use poker strategy shc because I dont know howe to act if someone rise.In Phils Gordon book is writen that if you hawe hand to play that you bet 3 times of a big blind if you are first to bet,poker strategy teach that you bet 4 times I think more effective is 3 times because too many players fold if see bet of 4 times of big blind
  • 5 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      HOW ABOUT POSTING THE CHART SO WE CAN SEE IT?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Bet sizing depends on the strenght of your range and what you want to achieve with that raise, since pokerstrategy shc is pretty tight it is good to raise 4xbb since the stronger hand you hold the bigger pot you want to play and with tight range you'll hold a strong hand on average more often than with loose range. So basically when you're tight and raise 3xbb your opponents make lesser mistake by calling you than if they would if you made it 4xbb. If you raise and everyone folds odds are that they would do the same if you raised 3xbb and there were no more money to be made anyway, but still you should be happy to pick up the blinds. I don't know Phils SHC, but it doesn't matter that much, PS SHC is good for beginners and since if you'd be advanced player you wouldn't need any shc anyway i recommend using it untill you'll get moe experience and deviate from any shc naturally.
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      I remember seeing this video on fulltilt academy where Bill Edler told you about betting patterns. The psycology behind it.

I often watch the table and finds the standard of the table.

Ofc. with blinds 0,01/0,02 I always bet 4 times because of the small blinds, but higher up I always sees what the "standard opening bid" on the board is. Otherwise I min raise from early position (I don't want to play huge pots out of postion), and 3/4x from late

Edit: And as Night said, I think 4x BB is good if you follow the tips on SSS on this site. You play few hands yes, and you want huge pots with great hands.
    • Djvandal
      Djvandal
      Bronze
      Are you talking abought Phil gordons green book?

he does not have it set in stone 3bb raises he adjusts his raises to his position

cant remember the exact method he uses its been a while since i read his book.

Also the type of poker phil is talking abought in that book has very little to do with SSS if you want to play SSS use PS's charts until you know your ready to open up your range a bit.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Djvandal
      Are you talking abought Phil gordons green book?

he does not have it set in stone 3bb raises he adjusts his raises to his position

cant remember the exact method he uses its been a while since i read his book.

Also the type of poker phil is talking abought in that book has very little to do with SSS if you want to play SSS use PS's charts until you know your ready to open up your range a bit.
      +1

sss/bss are mathematically calculated to provide you with the optimal starting hands, bet amounts, stack sizes etc.

By all means explore other strategies and adapt your own game when you are experienced, confident and consistently beating your level, however for beginners I would strongly recommend sticking to the PokerStrategy sss strategy until you build your BR up a little.

Sorry OP, don't take this personally, i have no idea how experienced you are and really appreciate you raising this discussion, it's an interesting subject. Just want to make sure that less experienced members reading this don't try to run before they can walk. :)

Best regards,

Bart