How strong processor to multitable?

• lulda
      lulda
      Bronze
      The title says it. I´d like to ask whether the Core2Duo T7100 1.8 GHz procesor is able to run 15+ tables without freezing while opening new table or lagging.

I'm ok if it runs without any HUD.

I'm playing at 1.5GB P4 on Everest atm and my pc freezes for a while everytime new table opens - playing more than 9 tables is real pain in the r's.

If it's not enough please sugest at how strong "machine" I should run.
  • 19 replies
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lulda

I'm playing at 1.5GB P4 on Everest atm and my pc freezes for a while everytime new table opens - playing more than 9 tables is real pain in the r's.
      Holy smokes they make pentium CPU's with GB now-a-days? *tickle tickle tease*

Uhm, I ran 12 tables fairly easy on a 2,1Ghz. Desktop tho, idk if you're gonna get a laptop or a desktop; elaborate on that.

In any case, for a laptop I'd go with something a little more bad ass, since laptops have a tendency to just collapse, roll over, and basically die, when you put them through X amount of work over Y amount of time. More CPU, less work, less cooling needed = a healthy laptop.

So something like 2,5Ghz-3Ghz for a laptop I'd recommend.
      2Ghz for a desktop should be enough.

To end this novel of a reply, I'd like to remind you that we're in 2009 now(I just realized it myself..), and a 3Ghz cpu for a desktop costs like $100, maybe even cheaper? So, yeah. My 2 Norwegian Kroner!
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Everest software eats more RAM power so if you dont have really good computer it lags playing more tables(8+) for more than hour. Depends how good comp. you have.

Dont to mention what Ongame network did :D Their new software consume so much power that i can not play 5tables with HUD more than 15.min than my comp. freeze :s_confused:

There average number of cash game player fall in 14days from ~3,2k to 1,4-1,5k :D
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      *nod*, but we were talking CPU, not RAM. : )
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      When you talk about system everything matters. What can you do with top processor and 1GB RAM playing latest game?
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      No need to chop my head off. Thread subject "What processor?", he clearly just wants to know how big a processor he needs, and he - presumably - knows that he should just get as much RAM as he can get/afford/fit in the can.

I was thinking about mentioning RAM, but to me it seemed like it could be taken as an insult to his intelligence basically.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      I run 16 tables at Stars, PT3, Winamp and few more stuff and it's working all fine with my dual core Athlon @ 1.8GHz and 4 GB RAM and GeForce 8600M GT.
      (OS: Vista).
    • lulda
      lulda
      Bronze
      I'm planning on byuing a laptop.

So you'd suggest 2GHz+.

As of RAM I was thinking 2-3GB, is that enough?
      Nowadays I ran on 1GB.
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      Sounds about right. Get a decent GFX card aswell, that'll help with the lag and freeze you were referring to.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Laptop with WinXP: 1 GB RAM is 'nuff.

Laptop with Vista: Aim to 3-4 GB.

Laptop with Vista 64: 6 GB.

RAM is cheap these days so spend some money on it.
      The more that better.
    • lulda
      lulda
      Bronze
      just one more question guyes, you don't think the integrated graffic card in lenovo is enough?
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      Dont need a graphics unless you are running games you only need to be thinking about is RAM and processor speed. Even though the laptop says, 1.8 ghz that's dual core i am pretty sure to positive that the processor you are talking about is going to wipe the floor with my desktop's 4ghz single core processor when it comes to multitasking. Like has been said RAM is important and you need more of it with Vista than XP you might as well get 3gb+ of it as it's cheap.
    • lulda
      lulda
      Bronze
      thank you very much all, have been really helpful
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Not sure if it's been emphasized enough already, but CPU doesn't matter. At all. The speed of your processor is dozens of times higher than the speed of your RAM, most of the time your processor does absolutely nothing and waits for data input. Faster processors are being released every year, but not because anyone needs them, simply because of marketing. Joe Average will rather buy a quad core than a single core because he doesn't know how his computer works, and doesn't realize that a better CPU won't make his system any faster.
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Not sure if it's been emphasized enough already, but CPU doesn't matter. At all. The speed of your processor is dozens of times higher than the speed of your RAM, most of the time your processor does absolutely nothing and waits for data input. Faster processors are being released every year, but not because anyone needs them, simply because of marketing. Joe Average will rather buy a quad core than a single core because he doesn't know how his computer works, and doesn't realize that a better CPU won't make his system any faster.
      Very true, for the most part.

So CPU doesn't matter at all. Hmm, okay let us see a RECORDING of someone doing a 12-16 table session on a 1Ghz smtn. Give it one million GB RAM, still not gonna work.. Why? Because the cpu's just too slow to handle the workload.

A combination between: A reasonably good CPU. Reasonable amounts of RAM. and. a reasonable GFX card.

And don't listen to these schmucks that tell you GFX cards don't matter; you'll be multi-tabling on 800x600 if you do. Not good.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zaplol
      So CPU doesn't matter at all. Hmm, okay let us see a RECORDING of someone doing a 12-16 table session on a 1Ghz smtn. Give it one million GB RAM, still not gonna work.. Why? Because the cpu's just too slow to handle the workload.
      Let's not forget that the system speed is not decided by the effective frequency of the front side bus (CPU<->RAM). Most if not all personal computers are bottlenecks. The best way to effectively improve system performance is to upgrade the chipset. More graphics oriented machines will, of course, need heavier cards, but helping the slower components to "keep up" should be a priority.
    • zaplol
      zaplol
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger

Let's not forget that the system speed is not decided by the effective frequency of the front side bus (CPU<->RAM). Most if not all personal computers are bottlenecks. The best way to effectively improve system performance is to upgrade the chipset. More graphics oriented machines will, of course, need heavier cards, but helping the slower components to "keep up" should be a priority.
      Well congratulations to you for trying to outsmart me on computers.. That's not what this thread is about..

We're not talking about 1920's computers.

REASONABLE system + specified CPU is what he asked for, from what I can gather of his thread subject+post.

This is running off track guys, he just wanted to know how bad ass his CPU had to be in order to multi-table(ofc with winamp/elephant blabla), and we're giving him a lesson that should be moved to 'technerds.com'.

And before you try to lecture me on computers again.. Yes, this is about to turn into an advanced lesson. Front Bus? Chipset!? - these are things the average suit'n'tie hasn't heard of.

[ ] Argue some more and waste time
      [x] Make a last post and move on to the next person that needs help.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      You clearly missed my point, sir. I was just trying to tell everyone (yes, my posts address everyone, not just you, so please don't feel targeted) not to waste their money on a new CPU and invest it in a new motherboard instead. If a person doesn't know what he's buying and why, odds are he's wasting money. OP wanted to know what hardware he'll need for a reasonable system, and I see people giving advice on CPU and RAM, but no one mentions the probably most important part of the system, which is the chipset. The concept is not overly complex, and understanding it can help you get a cheaper computer with the same performance. Better motherboard>more RAM>faster CPU.

Apologies if I lecture people on how to save money on hardware, it just so happens that I'll be designing their computers for the next 30 years. :)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      3.2GB core duo is enough for 50 table + HUD (also 4GB of RAM).
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lulda
      If it's not enough please sugest at how strong "machine" I should run.
      Get the fastest thing you can afford without getting evicted. What runs 16 tables today will not necessarily run 16 tables tomorrow. (Especially if you play at OnGame!)