Success without SSS

• stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      I don't play SSS. I play my own style of poker. Trying to adabt to every single player on the table. (Play safe, build it slow and exploit others for all in moves)

Since I downloaded Elephant poker, I have earned quiet a bit. My whole bankroll now is a bit under 250$. I started from the 2 free dollars I got for free from pokerstars.

Also, tourneys gives you a great ammount of money.
      I've tried out SSS abit, but I don't like it. Why are people so focused on it?
      Graph from elephant tool.. Played 1k hands since I got it. Thats about what I've earned from cash games. The rest have I earned from tourneys.

BTW; I usally play NL25 with max buy in
  • 9 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      you can try to play fullstack if you don't like to shortstack (many people don't like it, me among them :D )

remember bankroll management is important if you play shortstacked, bigstack, tourney or whatever.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/1035/
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      Yep, all my friends manages to go broke when they insert money. I did too at fulltilt. Overial I've lost 90$ (I think)
      And I read alot about bankroll management and alot other things ( I use fulltilt academy and this site), and that has gone pretty well.
      I like to wait for someone doing mistakes. I try to spot out eventuelly mistakes on every player.
      I play very tight early, and semi loose late (if no one from UTG / UTG+1) has opened. I almost open with every playable hand in late position if no one has opened.

It's easy to spot out SSS players too, very easy. And then you know their starting hand range. Can be exploited.

Edit: I have a feeling that SSS players are weaker in tourneys?
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      People are focused on it as a means to build you bankroll early without risking a lot of money (ie. something that can be doen with the $50 startup). I'm glad you've done well so far, just make sure you do stick to bankroll management and do plenty of reading.

If you have $250, you pretty close to enough for BSS at NL10, or you could try Fixed limit up to 0.25/0.50. Not liking SSS is fine, try a few different styles and see which works for you. Just remember to stick with BRM in case of a downswing, and good luck at the tables.
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      I used to play at NL10, the players weren't predictable. I moved up to NL25, I must say they are easier to read well in my opinion.

I have moer success at NL 25 than NL10

I play with 25$ buy in. 10% of my bankroll. I know that ain't very good bankroll management, but if I lose 1 buy in, it ain't that big of a deal. I am able to fold great hands.

I also spend alot of money in tourneys. Biggest victory was 200$ (3. place of 1$ buy in with 2400 people or something)

Lost that down to 150$. won about 50 in tourneys after that and 40 in cash games
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I am sorry to say this, but I see you going broke in the future or breaking even over a long period since you won't be able to recover well from swings.

Risking 10% of your BR as a ring game BI is madness.
      Please move down to NL10 and grind it to like 500+$ before trying NL25

Cheers
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      I have done even better now,

I am at +65.

Well, I don't care so much about this bankroll for reasons I can't explain here :D

Can just give you a hint hat I play on mansion poker. ;)

I mostly play on tourneys though, I've moved down to NL10 too.
      I either play 2-3 tables at NL10
      or 1 table at NL25 (NL 20 now at mansion, was stupid enaguh to move my money over from pokerstars.)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      let me react; I like BRM related threads =)

Originally posted by stiansk
      I have done even better now,

I am at +65.
      poker is about long term... as was said by better players: it's all about luck in the short-term, it's all about skills in the long-term (100,000 hands and more).

don't focus on single session/day/month too much

Well, I don't care so much about this bankroll for reasons I can't explain here :D
      It's up to you, but bankroll management (BRM) is the most important "skill" in poker for everyone from NL2 to sky-high limits..

Can just give you a hint hat I play on mansion poker. ;)
      It has nothing to do with bad BRM ^^ Variance will hit you even if you play against 9 worst players on the planet.. sooner or later...

Whatever will you do: GOOD LUCK! or start to properly use BRM (without cheating yourself ofc) and climb up the limits! :)
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      Yes, I used to play to good BRM (Followed Furgerson's advicec) and I know that it's all about the long term.

Still, I am more of a tourney player (and yes, I know that bad beats at NL25 really RUINS my bankroll)
      And I know that i should play with 5% of my bankroll.

And since this post (before the comments about BRM) did I start to play multy tables at NL10.

But thanks for tips :D Have played in serveral mmonths, and I am still more of a tourney player. Hoping to master cash games though (and I know that BRM is very important in cash games and tourneys)

Thanks for tips, my bankroll keeps groving :f_biggrin:
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      What are a few days compared to a few weeks, a few months, ... I see u going broke. U suffer from something 97% of begginer players suffer from. I did as well. And it was a hard lesson to learn. I bet u'll blow the money u've made in the past whatever time in 2-3 days. Being overconfident pretty much makes u feel invincible doesn't it? Well cya in one of the future rigged threads!