[NL2-NL10] Nl10 AKo

• Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero ($11.50)
      Button ($5.90)
      SB ($19.35)
      BB ($23.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[:spade:] , A[:club:] .
      Hero raises to $0.4, Button calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 9[:diamond:] , 6[:spade:] , 4[:diamond:] (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.6, Button calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.15) 8[:diamond:] (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.2, Button calls $1.20.

River: ($4.55) 6[:club:] (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $3.7 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $8.25

C/f on turn?
  • 6 replies
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      I usually don't 2nd barrel on low turn cards, especially if a flush completes. Check/fold would be correct on the turn.
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rickydaprince
      I usually don't 2nd barrel on low turn cards, especially if a flush completes. Check/fold would be correct on the turn.
      That's what I was thinking.

But isn't checking when the third diamond comes kinda like saying "hey, I don't have a flush, please bet!"?
      Wouldn't this encourage people that don't even have a great hand to bet, when they would probably fold to our bet?
    • rickydaprince
      rickydaprince
      Bronze
      No, you could play the same line with an overpair but you now want to slow down for pot control because the table is getting ugly, but will still call any reasonable bets. It sucks to fold AK, but you have to know when to find the fold button.

Unless the guy is a total fish, people rarely bets trash on that turn.. .they will at least have some part of the flop or a pp... both of which beats AK. Sometimes they might have AK or Ax too, but they have position on you and there's nothing you can do... I wouldn't pay any more money to find out. More often than not, you're beat, hence in the long run, your cbet on the turn will not be profitable.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Here when you c-bet the flop, BU (who seems bad given his stack size) will likely call with any pair, any flush draw, 87, all kinds of overcards crap, a set which he might not raise to protect because he doesn't understand that concept, and so on.

So on the turn, all the hands that were already ahead of you on the flop will likely stick around, and now you're toast against made flushes too. It's not worth giving your money away to all of those hands just to fold out the few worse hands that he might bluff you with, namely overcards that might even have a redraw to the flush now, and thus might not even fold to a turn bet. Plus if you get called again, the situation will be even worse on the river, and unless you want to desperation bluff your stack into him, you're gonna have to give it up anyway, as your A and K outs likely aren't even good anymore.

We're not trying to win every pot at all costs, we just want to show a profit in the long run. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to defend what might be the best hand, and that will happen a lot, especially out of position. Don't let it bother you.
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Ok thanks for the advice. I'll have to learn to slow down a bit in hands like that.

Up untill recently I've only played DoN SNGs where the most important stage is the push or fold stage.
      So I'm still kinda figuring out exactly how aggresive to be post flop in these 6-handed games.
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Here when you c-bet the flop, BU (who seems bad given his stack size) will likely call with any pair, any flush draw, 87, all kinds of overcards crap, a set which he might not raise to protect because he doesn't understand that concept, and so on.

So on the turn, all the hands that were already ahead of you on the flop will likely stick around, and now you're toast against made flushes too. It's not worth giving your money away to all of those hands just to fold out the few worse hands that he might bluff you with, namely overcards that might even have a redraw to the flush now, and thus might not even fold to a turn bet. Plus if you get called again, the situation will be even worse on the river, and unless you want to desperation bluff your stack into him, you're gonna have to give it up anyway, as your A and K outs likely aren't even good anymore.

We're not trying to win every pot at all costs, we just want to show a profit in the long run. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to defend what might be the best hand, and that will happen a lot, especially out of position. Don't let it bother you.
      +1
      exactly this.