A fish's story

• Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      :f_biggrin:

Inspired by the other five million blogs here, this is my story...

My name is Robin Leys, and I'm a 21 year old student from Belgium. The person who introduced me to poker was actually a Counter-Strike clan mate. He was always talking about poker on Ventrilo but I didn't really care too much about that in the beginning. I sorta just let him talk about it, pretend I was interested, but I wasn't really listening.

Untill one day he convinced me to register on Unibet and participate in a freeroll tournament. I immediately fell in love with the game. That same person then taught me the basics of poker, hand strengths, a bit of strategy like slowplaying etc..

And even though I've been playing poker for about 3 years now, I still have very limited experience with cash games. Most of the time I've been playing Double or Nothing SNGs (my friends laughed at me because of this btw), but now they've lost their appeal for me.

I'm tired of getting all my chips in preflop, and want to start playing some real poker. This is why I'm saying good bye to SNGs, cya later, and from now on I'll be playing NL10 6-handed.

I will be updating this blog at the end of every poker day before I go to sleep. This will give me some time to get away from the actual game a bit, review my past plays and I'll be able to go to sleep with a clear mind.
  • 8 replies
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      • The first graph.

These are the five past days, during which I fell in love again with poker.

• Biggest pot lost.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $16.05
      CO:
      $13.65
      BU:
      $4.65
      SB:
      $10.10
      BB(Hero):
      $10.15

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q.
      MP3 calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.4, BU calls $0.40, SB folds, Hero calls $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.65) A, 8, 7 (4 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.20, BU raises to $4.2, Hero calls $3.00, CO folds.

Turn: ($11.25) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.05, Hero calls $0.05.

River: ($11.35) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.35.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces (A Q)
      BU shows two pairs, aces and eights (8 A)
      BU wins with two pairs, aces and eights (8 A).

Feel free to post suggestions on how I should have played the hand differently. This blog is a learning tool, so every bit of advice is welcome.

• Current Bankroll: $132.18.
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Auww, was hoping to have the Silver rank by today so I could read the more advanced articles.

So I wake up, go to PokerStrategy.com, and what do I see?

• Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Played a few short sessions today and yesterday, 515 hands total.

Didn't really get involved in too many pots, only with hands that seemed good at the time. And it's worked for me so far. I'm up $24.45 since my last post.

But the problem I'm having, is that every time I won a few pots and I'm up 6-7-ish dollar I always want to leave the table.

I'm enjoying these cash games very much but when I've won a few hands in a row I always start thinking that I'm not actually that good in poker as I think I am. That I'm just experiencing an upswing or something.

I think I'm just way to result focused, maybe I'm just scared to close the day with a losing session and that's why I just quit while I'm ahead.

I'm having a bit of an internal struggle at the moment. A part of me wants to play it safe, and quit while the pokertracker numbers are still green. But an other part of me knows how much money there's to be made with online poker, and wants to keep playing, and risk to eventually have some bad luck and lose a few pots.

But all in all, I'm really enjoying the time I spend playing poker.

Good night, PokerStrategy.com.

• Current Bankroll: $156.63.
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      June's finished, had about 62 dollar profit in the few days that I played and I would like to take this opportunity to post my stats here and maybe get some feedback.

Hands: 1.674
      VPIP: 13.56
      PFR: 9.74
      WTSD: 28.89
      W$SD: 60.26
    • Alex147Eddie
      Alex147Eddie
      Bronze
      It's not a good idea to play NL10 BSS with 150$ bankroll
      Read the articles on this site especially the ones regarding bankroll management
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Octhellior
      • The first graph.

These are the five past days, during which I fell in love again with poker.

• Biggest pot lost.

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $16.05
      CO:
      $13.65
      BU:
      $4.65
      SB:
      $10.10
      BB(Hero):
      $10.15

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q.
      MP3 calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.4, BU calls $0.40, SB folds, Hero calls $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.65) A, 8, 7 (4 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.20, BU raises to $4.2, Hero calls $3.00, CO folds.

Turn: ($11.25) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.05, Hero calls $0.05.

River: ($11.35) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $11.35.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces (A Q)
      BU shows two pairs, aces and eights (8 A)
      BU wins with two pairs, aces and eights (8 A).

Feel free to post suggestions on how I should have played the hand differently. This blog is a learning tool, so every bit of advice is welcome.

• Current Bankroll: $132.18.
      i would either reraise or fold depending on how loose the opponents are. but im not 100% on this as i am not a bbs player myself. i would advice you to try and post the hand in the bss hand sample forum
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alex147Eddie
      It's not a good idea to play NL10 BSS with 150$ bankroll
      Read the articles on this site especially the ones regarding bankroll management
      I know BSS usually requires you to have at least 25 buyins of a certain limit. But I just can't be arsed to play with 5c or 2c big blinds.
      On NL10 the pots are getting bigger, which is needed to keep me interested.

If I go broke, I'll have learned from it and I'll happily deposit some more dollars. I will be using proper BRM for the higher limits though, if I'm ever able to move up that is.

@Raun, thanks for your input. A reraise is basically the same as calling, because he only had 5cents behind (something i did not notice at the time). So I guess folding makes the most sense.
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      It's a miracle! I made it to >$200.00<.

I know it's not the end of the day yet, but I'm posting it now already because in a few hours I might have dropped below 200 again. :)

One hand today I'm particularly proud of is this:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU(Hero):
      $15.15
      SB:
      $13.95
      BB:
      $11.00
      MP2:
      $10.65
      MP3:
      $10.15
      CO:
      $11.95

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 4.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.4, SB folds, BB raises to $1.4, Hero calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.85) 8, 5, Q (2 players)
      BB bets $1.90, Hero raises to $3.8, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.75.

Results follow:

Hero shows high card ace (A 4)
      Hero wins with high card ace (A 4).
      I had a really good read on villain, he was really aggresive and I felt fairly certain I could take the pot down there at the flop.

Really, I had no idea 6-handed would be so much more fun compared to full ring, there's a lot more action, blind stealing and position play. I'm having so much fun playing poker at the moment.