Thou Shal Not Tilt! NL10 and Beyond!

• Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Hello, I decided to start a blog to enable me to focus on playing my best poker all the time, improving my game, and as much as anything; PREVENT TILTING!!!

I have been playing poker for the last few months in several different varities but most recently NL BSS and built my starting capital to ~$260, however, if I played my best form of poker and best game all the time I feel it could be much higher. I find my self building up a bigger roll over a few weeks but then suffering several bad beats in a session. This is nothing too bad and only variance but then it sends me on tilt and I donk of my winnings eithier still in the NL BSS or go and play some SNG or MTT looking for the big win to recover my losses, which never comes! As a result I end up undoing weeks of good work in one day.

Bankroll Managment

NL5 -> Move down at 40 Buy-ins/$200
      NL10 -> Present: 26 Buy-ins/$260
      NL25 -> Move up at 25 Buy-ins/$625 + at least 4BB/100hands over 10k+ hands at NL10
      NL50 -> Move up at 30 Buy-ins/$1500 + at least 4BB/100hands over 25k+ hands at NL25

TBC ;)

Short Term Goals

1. Review all BSS articles at Bronze Level
      2. Start looking at Silver BSS articles
      3. Achieve a +BB/100 hands at NL10
      4. Review at least 25% of all hands from previous session before begging new one.
      5. Try and think for at least 10-15second on every in-game decision.
      6. Achieve Gold Status at PokerStrategy.com
      7. Update this blog regularly :D

Long Term Goals

1. Move up to NL25 at $625
      2. Maintain a +BB/100 hands for NL25
      3. Be Confident with Silver BBS articles
      4. Start Looking at BBS Gold articles

Strategy : Playing Ratio

I will try to maintain at least a 1:2, Strategy: Playing ratio over the next few months at least as my game is still weak and no doubt has holes to big to even be called leaks.

Strategy= Articles, Videos, Coachings, Hand Annalysis Forum and Session review.

Golden Rule
      Do not play SNG/MTT as I have no knowledge of strategy for this form of them game. This makes me a donk. Which means I'm no better than the fools who I abuse in chatboxes after sufffering a painfull 2-outer. Not a place I want to go.

Status
      Bankroll: $260
  • 30 replies
    • Computerized
      Computerized
      Bronze
      Cool, I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I'll be watching your blog. :)
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Wooo, First update!
      Well I had a fairly swingy session with several all-in's, one spot with QQ pre-flop against a tag/nit, I raised form UTG he 3-bet and I thought folding even against a tag was too weak, so I decide to 4-bet/fold which I'm not sure weather it is really bad or not to start with, but then when the Shove came curisity got the best of me and despite knowing it was a bad decision before even doing it, I called and his aces held up. :s_frown:

I really need to stop doing this sort of thing!

Session:

Hands: 291
      Profit/Loss: +$2.56
      BB/100 : +4.4BB

Bankroll: $262.56
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Another small session this evening, again I was up and down but unfortunaly ended down $1 or so. Would have been a much nice session if it wasnnt for one hand towards the end;

I raised form the SB with AA after 3 limpers, everyone but one limper folded and he re-raised. I though about showving there but he was real aggressive so could fold but I new he would conti-bet to try and steal a big pot on any flop if I checked to him so this is the line I chose, it work and he overbet shoved ~$7 into a pot of $5, I call and he shows KK, hits a set on the river! :s_confused:

Totals:

Hands:646
      Profit/Loss: +$1.65
      BB/100: +1.28BB

Bankroll: $261.65
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Hello all my readers! ..... (gust of wind then silence) :s_confused:

Well i've played a few hands since last update and has once again been up and down ,also had some really nasty suckouts and my all-in graph is will below expected value. One really bad hand whent like this, I had KK on a flop of QJx, I conti-bet and this aggro moneky raised me, I re-reasied and he shoved all in. I thought for a moment then callled and he turned over KQ, no flush draws, zilch. :s_confused: turn and river come Q, Q ! :f_o:

Despite some other beats like this I am still reasonably up and the most important thing which was the goal of this blog is I have kept my head and focussed.

Totals:

Hands:1855
      Profit/Loss:+$15.18
      BB/100: +4.09BB <---- just above my goal of 4BB so im pleased considering.
      Bankroll: $275.18
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      God im a dedicated blogger, 2 updates in one day, Still NO READERS!!! Still, it helps me to record my progresss so i shall continue valliantly!

Im updating again cos I just hit a nice upswing not onyl was I getting cards, but my opponents were gettting them as well (just not qutie as good :P )Despite this, still suffered one huge cooler were I hit fullhouse on a A44 board holding AA, turns out the other guy had quads which sucked but still had a nice day! Been a nice boost to my bankroll and winrate also ;

Totals:

Hands:2565
      Profit/Loss:+$46.72
      BB/100: +9.11
      Bankroll:$306.72
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Hi there very nice Blog, I thinking on starting BSS myself and I wonder did u start on nl5 and builded from there?
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Yey a reader! I actualy started on NL2 with about $100 not long ago, but the level is so fishy I made about $100 in the space of a week , nto playign huge volume and moved through NL5 and onto NL10 at ~$200. So yer I did start at the very bottom but thanks to running good and terrible players I didnt have to stay on those limits very long, hopefully NL10 will be more of the same :D
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Gosh this blog is popular :\

Never mind, as I have some more good progress to erm... share :f_confused:

Played over 1000 hadns since last update and had some nice run of cards which will hopefully turn into an upswing :D Only negative ive not done so much Theory work last few days so need to restart tht over the next few days.

Totals:

Hands:3573
      Profit/Loss: +$74.61
      BB/100: +10.44BB
      Bankroll: $338.99
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Hey Joshquan, nice blog, nice roll.
      Good Luck, in your journey. Where do you play btw?
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Hi Josh, Reading your blog and sounds a lot similar to me. I saw you asked if I'd want to do some sessions with you - I think that would be great Can I find you on skype? I'm in eastern north america, but up usually very late playing.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      So nl2 is fishy :D I might give it a try on Pokerstars got a BR of 110dollar there
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      @maya, thanks for the encouragement , and I play at partypoker :)

@gavin, I would be interested in some sessions but only have msn rather than skype, however if you don't have msn I would be interested in getting Skype anyway as it seems to be the language of poker :P
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Right its been a short while since my last update som here we go...

I have a slight confession, as after a very slight slump on NL10 I kinda got bored and decided to play a bit of NL25 to make it more interesting, I guess this could be classed as tilt but it was not in my usual sense that I go donking my money around at a rate of severaly buy-ins/100 hands. In fact, I think i played much better at NL25 than I would at NL10 becasue the stakes (to me) were higher so i concentrate more but not to the point that it is scared money.

Fortunatly it went quite well and once again my bankroll has grown slightly. Although quite well up on NL25 it could have gone so much better as I lossing nearly a full stack twice in two terrible situatins; one two outer and once were I had to make a fold on the river after my set turned into a full house fromt he flop to the turn 555KK, thn a third king on the river gave me KKK55 which didnt look so strong considering I was only using one hole card against the loowest card on the board, I block bet ~half pot and he raised all in, it really sucked but I could see much I beat, fold :| .

Update:

NL10

Hands: 4712
      Profit/Loss: +$70.64
      BB/100: +7.50BB

NL25

Hands: 970
      Profit/Loss: +$21.32
      BB/100: +4.40BB

Totals

Hands: 5682
      Profit: +$91.96
      BB/100: +6.69BB
      Bankroll: $355.36
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Had Another slightly crazy day which turned out to be a good one and if you just took my bankroll as guidance it would appear all plain sailing, as it were it was not. I was up and down constantly going up to $416 after just 100-200 hands and then back down gradualy to just above were I started but managed to fight my way back up to about ~$405 to a total of up ~$50 for the day which is quite nice.

I played alot of hands one of my biggest days volume wise and alot of them on NL25 which i dont really have the roll for but it helps me concentrate and there dosent seem to be much harder than NL10. What is also sttrangly pleasing is I was still up despite suffering some really tough beats for full-stacks and runing ~$20 below EV so there is more to come and its not just a an upswing.

Update:

NL25:

Hands:1752
      Profit: +$86.71
      BB/100: +9.90BB

NL10:

Hands: 5579
      Profit: +$51.80
      BB:100: +4.64BB

Totals:

Hands: 7331
      Profit: +$138.51
      BB/100: +5.91BB

Bankroll: ~$405

In the next few days I think I am going to leave NL25 for a while and be pleased that it has gone well and not broke me which was a possibility. Instead I want to focus on improving my winrate on NL10 over possibly 10k Hands to prove to myself that I definatly beat it, at the same boosting my Bankroll for NL25 which will be reahced in the near future hopefully where I can pick up where I left off.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Right, been a while since my last update but I have been away the last three days so havent played all that much more. However, I have made some nice prgross since the last update and Im really pleased with how things are looking. Played MOSTLY NL10 since and have been running kind of good but also have improved my focus and consequently my play :)

However, again I hve a slight confession as I got bored and wanted to try my hand at heads-up, however, I play at party-poker and the lowest limit that offers this form of the game is NL50, way out of my Bankroll. Desptie this a went ahead and played as I found a real fish that was sat down with ~30BB. I only played about 100 hands against this guy and one other guy that was similarly fish but ended up about 10BB down. Despite this I sitll enjoyed it and the intensity of the play in that you are ivnolved nearly every hand, and although cutrrently I want to work on mastering the SH game, HU is something I want to look at in the future.

Updates:

NL25:

No change form above :D

NL10:

Hands:7849
      Profit: +$129.80
      BB/100: +8.27BB

Totals:

Hands:9708
      Profit: +$211.49
      BB/100: +8.42BB

Bankroll: ~$470

Im looking to upload my first graph to illustrate my progress soonish but first... I must work out how to do so! :s_confused:
    • SweetCamil
      SweetCamil
      Bronze
      Hi there Joshquan

Wow! You really in a roll! From 1 digit winnings now you already have 3 digit winning! I love the way you play your hand! I'm excited to read your update everyday.

By the way what do you play? SSS or BSS?

Lots of love

Camille
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      Im looking to upload my first graph to illustrate my progress soonish but first... I must work out how to do so! :s_confused:
      -Import the graph from HEM/PT/Elephant to a .png or .jpg file
      -Upload a the file to http://imageshack.us/
      -Click the insert Image button
      -paste the URL.

Good Luck.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the support, keep visiting :D And I play BSS

Thanks for the instruction as well Maya, I'll get on that now :)
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      First Graph, Here we go;

While I'm at it, here is a graph of my Showdown/Non-Showdown Winnings, is the Negative Non-Showdown line standard for BSS? If not what type of things effect it that I may be doing wrong, eg/ Laying downing to easily, not c-betting often/large enoguh?

Thanks, and thanks again Maya :)