This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH 88 overpair

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($28.37)
      CO ($30.26)
      Hero (Button) ($21.35)
      SB ($24.31)
      BB ($20)
      UTG ($21.45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8, 8
      UTG bets $0.70, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.70, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.70) 5, 3, 2 (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

Turn: ($4.50) K (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $2.50, UTG calls $2.50

River: ($9.50) 5 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $9.50

Villain stats:
      VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands
      19/15/4.0/27/207

Flop: I just call his cbet, guess if I raise I'm only isolating against better hands, right?

Turn: A scare card appears and he checks, so I bet here because I think its possible he calls with an ace since he has a gutshot+overcard. Maybe it was better to check behind and call river?

River: I don't see any better hand calling turn and playing c/fold river, and I have some showdown value so I just check behind.
  • 6 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      I'm having a hard time figuring out why a tag with his AF wouldn't bet that turn if he had Ax, and probably with most of his air too, it's such a perfect spot.

So when he checks i don't really see him c/f very often, i mostly expect him to be doing that with hands that beat us, figuring if he bets the K we're gonna fold everything he beats and raise with everything that beats him.

Even if i'm wrong and he has air, he's not calling a turn bet with it. The only hands that we beat that might call a bet are 66-77, and i don't think he'd play those that way (likely c/f if he decides not to bet the K with them), so i tend to think it's way too thin.

I'd much rather check behind that turn and c/f or c/c the river depending on the feel i get from his river bet.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      I'm having a hard time figuring out why a tag with his AF wouldn't bet that turn if he had Ax, and probably with most of his air too, it's such a perfect spot.

Because he is bad! I haven't found a winning regular in my DB so far (even I am in the loser side :D , but I'll improve hehe) I really laughed here when I saw the showdown :P , but yeah check behind on turn, call river would be a better line.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      lol. So where is all that money going, you're all getting exploited by the fish and the rake ? Where are you playing again ? ;)
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hehe well actually yeah kind of :( , sometimes I go bet/bet/bet with overpairs on wet boards to protect the "best" hand only to be called down by QQ+, and some weird moves from villain that cost me a lot, let's say I'm adapting to bad and weird plays, and taking expensive notes xD

Variance helps a bit too, I am almost 6 BIs down with KK preflop shove:

4 times running into aces (1-3), 3 times vs QQ (1-2) and once vs random shortstack.

And that is not counting when villain cold-called my kings 4 bet with jacks only to obviously catch his set :f_cool:

But well, the important part is to improve my game :f_grin:

And I'm playing at mansion.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      I think we all know the feeling, hang in there. So long as you keep a good bankroll to mitigate variance it will pay off eventually.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I´d likely played the hand the same way.
      nh