[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH 88 overpair

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($28.37)
      CO ($30.26)
      Hero (Button) ($21.35)
      SB ($24.31)
      BB ($20)
      UTG ($21.45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8, 8
      UTG bets $0.70, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.70, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.70) 5, 3, 2 (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

Turn: ($4.50) K (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $2.50, UTG calls $2.50

River: ($9.50) 5 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $9.50

Villain stats:
      VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands
      19/15/4.0/27/207

Flop: I just call his cbet, guess if I raise I'm only isolating against better hands, right?

Turn: A scare card appears and he checks, so I bet here because I think its possible he calls with an ace since he has a gutshot+overcard. Maybe it was better to check behind and call river?

River: I don't see any better hand calling turn and playing c/fold river, and I have some showdown value so I just check behind.
  • 6 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      I'm having a hard time figuring out why a tag with his AF wouldn't bet that turn if he had Ax, and probably with most of his air too, it's such a perfect spot.

So when he checks i don't really see him c/f very often, i mostly expect him to be doing that with hands that beat us, figuring if he bets the K we're gonna fold everything he beats and raise with everything that beats him.

Even if i'm wrong and he has air, he's not calling a turn bet with it. The only hands that we beat that might call a bet are 66-77, and i don't think he'd play those that way (likely c/f if he decides not to bet the K with them), so i tend to think it's way too thin.

I'd much rather check behind that turn and c/f or c/c the river depending on the feel i get from his river bet.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      I'm having a hard time figuring out why a tag with his AF wouldn't bet that turn if he had Ax, and probably with most of his air too, it's such a perfect spot.

Because he is bad! I haven't found a winning regular in my DB so far (even I am in the loser side :D , but I'll improve hehe) I really laughed here when I saw the showdown :P , but yeah check behind on turn, call river would be a better line.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      lol. So where is all that money going, you're all getting exploited by the fish and the rake ? Where are you playing again ? ;)
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hehe well actually yeah kind of :( , sometimes I go bet/bet/bet with overpairs on wet boards to protect the "best" hand only to be called down by QQ+, and some weird moves from villain that cost me a lot, let's say I'm adapting to bad and weird plays, and taking expensive notes xD

Variance helps a bit too, I am almost 6 BIs down with KK preflop shove:

4 times running into aces (1-3), 3 times vs QQ (1-2) and once vs random shortstack.

And that is not counting when villain cold-called my kings 4 bet with jacks only to obviously catch his set :f_cool:

But well, the important part is to improve my game :f_grin:

And I'm playing at mansion.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      I think we all know the feeling, hang in there. So long as you keep a good bankroll to mitigate variance it will pay off eventually.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I´d likely played the hand the same way.
      nh