[NL20-NL50] Feedback wanted

• bassboy303
      bassboy303
      Bronze
      Hi

I just have two hands I want to share I played this evening at a heads up table 0.25-0.50 at FTP against the same oponent during a 15 minute session leaving me with -$60.

First hand:
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $35.50
      BB(Hero):
      $23.75

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 5.
      SB raises to $1.5, Hero calls $1.00.

Flop: ($3.00) J, 5, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $1.00, Hero raises to $6, SB calls $5.00.

Turn: ($15.00) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB checks.

River: ($15.00) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $16.25(All-In), SB calls $16.25.

Final Pot: $47.50.

Results follow:

SB shows a straight, jack high (T 9)
      Hero shows two pairs, eights and fives (8 5)
      SB wins with a straight, jack high (T 9).

Should I have made a bet on the turn? That's my main question. I wanted to play it for max profit but ended up giving away my buy in.

Second hand:
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $53.55
      BB(Hero):
      $32.25

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
      SB raises to $1.5, Hero raises to $4.5, SB calls $3.00.

Flop: ($9.00)
      K, 9, 6 (2 players) Hero checks, SB checks.

Turn: ($9.00)
      T (2 players) Hero bets $9.00, SB calls $9.00.

River: ($27.00)
      7 (2 players) Hero bets $9.50, SB raises to $40.05(All-In), Hero calls $9.25(All-In).

Final Pot: $85.80.
      Results follow (highlight to see):
      SB shows a straight, ten high (8s 9c)
      Hero shows three of a kind, kings (Ks Kc)
      SB wins with a straight, ten high (8s 9c).

Where did I go wrong in playing this hand? Should I have been suspicious about the call on the drawable board? Still echoing in my mind was the first hand shown above and I think I just couldn't believe he would be making it twice. Seeing his hand range I thought he overbet his made two pair or lower set. I think I just didn't want to believe he had the straight twice.

Any feedback would be nice.

Cheers

PS.
      First post, so be gentle if I'm off posting this here. But, since I'm silver I thought of this place as being right and I badly need some feedback to improve my game.
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Heads-up without reads is pretty damn near impossible to comment on correctly but we're gonna try on basic stuff.

1/

85s is a loose defend from the BB even by heads-up standards, just dump it.

As played if he had been c-betting often c/r'ing the flop is fine, else just bet/3bet it right there, it's not that strong of a hand that you want to give him a chance to catch up. Which is why if he just calls i'm shoving that turn hoping he calls with a J.

2/

I'm likely 3betting to $5 but it's marginal.

C-bet/shove that flop, it's somewhat drawy and based on the first hand your opponent doesn't seem very aggressive, so you have to put the money in yourself, he will only put money by himself when you're dead. If he just calls same thing on any turn, you're not folding trips to an unknown.

Overall you tend to try & slowplay stuff and it comes back to bite you in the ass basically. That type of player is not betting unless he has something, but is calling with any type of made hand or draw, so the way to go is to simply bet bet bet into them to get value from worse made hands and to protect from draws that they will chase all the time, thus making lots of money.

Plus you seem to be worried about losing 1.2 buy-ins over a 15mins session, but heads-up is basically variance at its best, so if you can't handle it, try and play some FR or 6max before going for HU.
    • bassboy303
      bassboy303
      Bronze
      Tamairlarace, thanks for the feedback.

I hear what you're saying and must confess that I was playing outside of my bankroll, but after having some winnings at HU SnG's up to 10$ buy in, I was wondering if I could make it in cash games. Today's lesson, I'm not ready for it :)

But in response to some of your questions/remarks:

1. He was 85/90% of the time 3betting preflop and c.betting on flop. That's why I couldn't laydown the 85suited.

2. I will take the advice to go 6max. I just can't focus enough FR it seems when things start to go slow.

Thanks again, still learning :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bassboy303
      1. He was 85/90% of the time 3betting preflop and c.betting on flop. That's why I couldn't laydown the 85suited.

Try and mention stuff like that in your post next time, it would help.

I don't understand tho, you mean he had 90% vpip and was 3betting/c-betting a lot ? Because i don't get how his 3bet% can influence you calling his raises from the BB.

It's not like you're gonna run out of chips in a cash game if you don't defend light, you'll only bleed more money calling preflop with garbage out of position and folding when you miss or trying to c/r bluff a guy who seems to call you postflop with any piece of the board.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      1) if you´re oop, then 85s should be fold pf. (although sometimes you call, especially in hu)
      I´d c/r smaller on the flop, lead half potsize turn and shove river
      2) bet flop,t here are enough draws/worse hands that would continue and to get money all-in on the river you should start building pot.
      also giving free cards on that board is not always the best idea.
    • bassboy303
      bassboy303
      Bronze
      Thx all...

Very usefull. I'll try to get more feedback from the lot of you on future hands.

Thanks again.