playing pocket pairs like 66s to 99s early position

• steoha12
      I was looking for advice on how to play pocket pairs like sixes to nines in ealy position in big stack strategy
      I find it hard to fold them but if u raise in early position u welcome a call and they are hard to play on the flop unless u hit or a low flop comes up
  • 4 replies
    • SheepMoose
      You said that you invite callers when raising but this isn't always true. If you limp with small PP you become easily readable, let everyone see a flop cheaply/for free, and will generally find pocket pairs unprofitable.

When raising, you get initiative, get rid of people who would possibly limp behind, and on the odd occasion take it down pre-flop.

Fold them if you're just starting out though. When you gain more experience you can start raising them.
    • TheBrood
      In my opinion:

- you can limp vs passive/very loose players
      - raise vs nits and players that go broke with TP or OP
      - fold vs good players

Since most tables (I play FR) have a mix of these types, I just fold them.
    • SoyCD
      Hello steoha12,

It really depends on if you are playing on a FR table or whether it is a SH table.

On a SH table I prefer simply raising any pocket pair when first in - while in a FR table it gets quite marginal when raising from early position. As I am not a big fan of limping (since one would have to balance the limping of small pockets by also limping other hands such as SC & Monsters) I prefer folding them or raising them.

If the table is full of fish though, limping does become an option, since the implieds increase and the chance of someone abusing you decreases.

TheBrood summed it up quite well actually :)

Best regards
    • delete461
      If you are learning the big stack strategy, stick exactly to the starting hands chart and fold them unless there is a raise in front of you. When you have some experience with it and are confident with your postflop game you can start open raising them. Open limping is never a good idea when you are beginning, more experienced players at the table will notice it and start putting you into tricky situations.