SSS - Late Position

• floppedawrap
      floppedawrap
      Basic
      A couple of questions about SSS, let's say there's two limpers and we have 77 OTB. If we raise to 6 BBs, we're never going to get a flop that is 'good' if called (unless we flop a set). Should we simply be flatting here to set mine?

Also, playing SSS, raising from OTB when folded to you with nearly any playable hand should be profitable, since neither blind will have very good odds to 'outflop' you (since they're assuming they're behind if they're flatting). So, should we be opening our range further to any PP, AJ+, KQ, QJs and JTs? I just can't see how sticking to 8.4% of hands in late position (when opening) is going to be profitable with the blinds you pay.

I've read the articles, etc.
  • 4 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hi Floppedawrap,

First, Welcome to pokerstrategy!

Its good to see that you have read the articles already and by the sounds of things you have expeirience of the online poker world. Its also good to see that you are already thinking about possible expansions to the *Basic* strategy.

Some of the concepts that you talked about are covered in higher ranked articles like blind stealing to isolating. Im not completely sure that opening any 2 would be profitable but definately widening range would be.

Also with the 77 idea, raising pf is still good because then we have initative on the flop so can fire a c-bet and take down the pot, although the c-bet may take your whole stack.

Best Wishes,

-Jack
    • floppedawrap
      floppedawrap
      Basic
      Thanks for the reply! I play enough to be considered a 'regular', I guess, but also have a job and two kids, so more a 'recreational regular' (if there is such an animal. I have beaten NL25 for 5.5ptBB/100 (4-8 tabling) over 45,500 hands this year so far, but need to increase my volume next month for my full Iron Man Mid Year bonus, so I will probably SSS NL50 or NL100. My normal style fluctuates between TAG and TP, depending on my confidence LOL, but SSS looks pretty simple for a high volume short term strategy. With rakeback and bonus next month, I probably don't need anything much more than b/e strategy, so I'll give SSS a whirl, and anything on the plus side will be gravy. Thanks, Jack!
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      No worries!!!

Good Luck with SSS.

It may not suit you, or you may love it ;) Just a warning that very high variance is involved - Losing 5+ stacks in a session can be normal.

For NL50 i would definately advise some more advancements though which is very hard to learn when you arent silver or gold.

-Jack
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello floppedawrap,

As I already stated in the other thread and as kingdippy pointed out here; the articles you have read are on basic SSS strategy and suitable up to NL25.

Once you venture into the realms of NL50 & NL100 you need to start adapting and changing the strategy - which would require concepts introduced in later content from the silver and gold sections.

Best regards
      SoyCD