Motivation

• cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      Even though I do not have classes or a job over the summer, I find it hard to put much time into poker. In fact, I find it difficult to play a session of over one hour, let alone play 4-10 hours total a day. When I do play, I play a large number of tables at a time and make more per hour playing that I would working an actual job (this is true even for limits at low as NL25). Clearly, the profit alone is not currently motivating me sufficiently.

Does anyone have advice for a burnt-out 20+ tabler (only because less is too boring; it is not this in itself that causes my dislike for playing) to help increase the number of hours played and session length? Any help at all would be appreciated.
  • 15 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Going up a limit (following BRM of course) works for me, makes the game more challenging/exciting.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      make a propbet, that's what i do
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Play 'spot the fish'. On each table, try to find the fishiest player. Say to yourself "I'm going to watch out for any opportunity to stack this guy." Easier with less tables.

Ironically, the less tables you play, the more time to think you have and the more interesting it becomes.

Or, why not experiment with a different type of poker - SnGs or FL or whatever?
    • stiansk
      stiansk
      Bronze
      Play some HORSE tourneys :D
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Why don't you just take a week off? If you won't burn with desire to play after a week off, maybe poker is not for you after all.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      make a propbet, that's what i do
      lol! - sounds like fun :D

ya i think that maybe taking a week off poker could be helpful. Maybe after a while you will be itching to play and you will want to.

Just a thought

-Jack
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Just quit poker if you don't like it. Getting a job for $10/hour is better than grinding online without liking it for $20/hour.
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Yoghi
      Just quit poker if you don't like it. Getting a job for $10/hour is better than grinding online without liking it for $20/hour.
      I disagree. I'd rather play poker for those $20/h save up and then do something I really enjoy for the saved up money, or move up a limit and the really start enjoying myself. :f_biggrin: (This doesn't take the downswings into account)
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      it's fair to say that you are past the $20/h

mate can i ask you something about the dollar to euro problem, what are you going to do if the dollar keeps getting weaker?
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Originally posted by excelgeo

mate can i ask you something about the dollar to euro problem, what are you going to do if the dollar keeps getting weaker?
      Thats what I fear most=) )) have a third of my savings (i'm a student so i'm happy i've got something to save anyway=) )) in my poker BR in $$. If $ falls I'll probably switch to "tesco value" beer from Tennents :s_biggrin: .

And start playing at pokerheaven=)
    • travoltaJOHNy
      travoltaJOHNy
      Bronze
      Try watching a movie about poker :) "Deal" is a good one.
    • pocketrockits
      pocketrockits
      Bronze
      He is burnt out becuase he is playing too many tables! It does get oh so boring playing that many tables. The fun of poker just goes and you feel like a robot!
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pocketrockits
      He is burnt out becuase he is playing too many tables! It does get oh so boring playing that many tables. The fun of poker just goes and you feel like a robot!
      Im bored with 3 tables
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black

Last year I was kind of in that situation...

And well I don't know, most of my money is in euro. I can't do much about it anyway.
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze

see my blog!