Adding a second monitor to my laptop.

• SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I'd like to add a second Monitor to my laptop for poker purposes and general work. My laptop currently has a 20" screen with a resolution of 1440x990. I've found the resolution to be a little too small when playing 4+ tables, and things can start to look squished.

I planned on getting a 23" samsung LCD monitor with the resolution of 1920x1080 but would like to know, how do I connect it all up to my laptop and use them both as seperate screens?

thanks.
  • 13 replies
    • s1ndr0me
      s1ndr0me
      Bronze
      you're laptop will probably have either a VGA/DVI/HDMI out put on it. Make sure the monitor has suitable connectors. HDMI is best

plug it all in and switch on. When windows has booted right click on your desktop and select properties. Click the settings tab. In a big grey box there should be the numbers 1 and 2. Click on 2 and then drag the slider underneath to the disired resolution of the new monitor. Finally make sure the "extend my desktop onto this monitor" is checked. job done.

Alternatively your laptop may have its own proprietry software to handle presentations/dual monitors, if so use that.

message ends
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I forgot to mention that my laptop is a HP pavilion dv 7 if that changes anything.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      I'd like to add a second Monitor to my laptop for poker purposes and general work. My laptop currently has a 20" screen with a resolution of 1440x990. I've found the resolution to be a little too small when playing 4+ tables, and things can start to look squished.

I planned on getting a 23" samsung LCD monitor with the resolution of 1920x1080 but would like to know, how do I connect it all up to my laptop and use them both as seperate screens?

thanks.
      I did this........I added a 27" Samsung (Very Nice!) Its an easy plug in. One or used or both can be used simulataneuosly.

However to have different displays on your two monitors requires an extra card to be purchased as this is not standard operating equipment.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Originally posted by SheepMoose

thanks.
      I did this........I added a 27" Samsung (Very Nice!) Its an easy plug in. One or used or both can be used simulataneuosly.

However to have different displays on your two monitors requires an extra card to be purchased as this is not standard operating equipment.
      Really? Because I found this picture of (essentially) the same laptop I have running two monitors.

• s1ndr0me
      s1ndr0me
      Bronze
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      GPU is important.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      GPU is important.
      GPU?
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Graphic card.
      Integrated graphic sux.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      GPU is important.
      So to run two montiors with different pictures we need a GPU, are they exspensive? and are they easy to install?

Thanx
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      You see this text because you already have it in your PC :D
      Every PC owns some GPU card.
      Laptops (and some PCs) have:
      -Integrated graphics (shared memory = less RAM)
      -Dedicated graphics (GFX with it own memory. More is better; I got 512MB with my GeForce 8600M GT).

Find more details at notebookcheck.com :)
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      OK will check it out.............never found it the first time i hunted for it, but that's no surprise......

thx
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      "That 70s Show" is so funny. HAHAHAHA Fez.

That's all I have to add, sorry.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      "That 70s Show" is so funny. HAHAHAHA Fez.

That's all I have to add, sorry.
      I <3 that 70's show. :s_biggrin:

Anyway, I managed to hook up a second monitor today, and all is working well.