[NL20-NL50] Nl20 SH JJ, on a monochromatic flop

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      First of all, I'm not sure if "monochromatic" is a word understood by poker players xD , I'm just translating it from Spanish community and means a flop with all cards of the same suit :)

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($34.84)
      CO ($17.81)
      Button ($19.63)
      SB ($23.81)
      Hero (BB) ($20)
      UTG ($58.14)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J
      1 fold, MP calls $0.20, 3 folds, Hero bets $0.80, MP calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.10) 7, 4, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, MP calls $1.60

Turn: ($5.30) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40

River: ($10.10) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $6, Hero folds

Total pot: $10.10

Villain stats
      VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands
      65/4/2.1/17/50

When I saw this hand on the replayer, I don't really like my play at all on turn and river..

Guess it was better to play b/f turn, b/f river or c/c river.

And as played on the turn I guess it was better to play c/c on the river again, I think he can fire there with A:dX (probably A:d9, A:d8) ofc also with K:dX, but well anyway my play makes no sense I think.
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      65/4 fish will play any suited cards, and in fact is unreasonably drawn to suited cards. They are so pretty after all, and form such reliable monsters. Fish love flushes because they are so obvious and easy to play. Further a fish holding a 7 high flopped flush almost never understands that this leaves anyone with a suited picture card drawing to beat them, so this "call along" flop line could easily be a flopped flush.

But more importantly in the way this hand went is such a fish will also both hold onto any 8, assuming to have the best hand, or draw to any diamond flush. Duece high is still a flush, and fish love flushes, per above.

So for our lines here, we should value-street the flop and turn with big bets. Checking would be silly because of the excessive range of crap a 65/4 is calling us down with. On the turn we hold 14 outs to a monster (diamonds, JJ, TTTT) and are probably in front - should be betting close to pot size here.

On the river, this was a good opportunity to put out a block bet of ~$3. Rarely is a fish willing to bluff over a block bet so a raise would be an easy laydown.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I´d bet turn for value and c/c river
      he would continue a lot with worse hands
      and might bluff/bet on the river with worse hands