[NL2-NL10] NL50 - JJ second pair call.

• Smileyphil
      Known players:

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:diamond: , J:heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB calls $1.75, BB folds.

Flop: ($4.50) 3:diamond: , K:heart: , 3:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.50, SB raises to $5.00, Hero raises to $6.45 (All-In), SB calls $1.45.

Turn: ($17.40) 5:diamond:
      River: ($17.40) 6:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $17.40

- Preflop my value bet looks a lot like a steal so I was prepared for him to do something tricky. A lot of players at NL50 seem pretty aggressive against "stealers".

- I thought his raise didn't really look like a king. I thought with a king he would either put me all in or call and hope I stack off to him. My instinct was that he thought I was bluffing and was therefore playing back with nothing. Can I play like this occasionally or is it pretty bad?
  • 3 replies
    • DaPhunk
      Now you're playing NL50 I'll share a quick moneysaving tip with you;

On the BU you can steal with 3BB instead of 4. You have the same FE and its cheaper. You can steal with a wider range and reduce your losses when you have to fold. Some players raise to 3.5BB on CO also. (On NL100+ I actually raise 3.5BB in all positions)

With regard to flop play, I think it is sometimes ok to push to this flopraise, but that said I would prefer to do it with reads. This cbet is inexpensive enough to fold to his raise not knowing much about him.

On a side note, I would ignore the fact that he didn't quite push you all in, it means nothing. He knows that if you call you're basically shoving and he has to call. It doesn't mean anything.
    • dandycal
      Hmm, yeah without any reads it's a tough decision for me. On this flop I think many players could get aggressive with many worse hands, PPs and more. Don't you think we gotta bet/call here?

Still, standard bet/fold is always on the safe side against unknown.
    • Gerv
      Hi Phil

A minraise on the Flop or c/minraise indicates a relatively better hand than if he would c/RAI you but against an unknown it's tough but still I stick it in, only QQ+, AK,KQ,KJ,KT has you and he can also do this with 44 up to TT in my opinion

- Gerv