How to play against super agressive maniac; with bubble approaching??

• sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Tonight i encountered my first MANIAC!!!

I mean, of course, moving up a gear or two if great as the bubble approaches but this really took the biscuit..i was 1st in chips at the break with 600 left, as blinds got high i went card dead for about 7/8 orbits and then got moved table..

On hand #2 at the new table, another player appears..in the chat box as cards are dealt its my turn to act ..i have QQ.. before i do anything this guy who has 35K (i have 16K) says "hey - who wants to go all in every hand??"..."come on..all in" "everyhand im all in" "wooooooo donks - lets gamble" etc...b4 ive acted..so i raise to 600 (blinds @ 100/200) he shoves behind for 35K..i time out and decide to fold, as it looks sooo suspicious, and i'd kick myself here if he has AA/KK because he's pretended to have no hand when really he wants a call..

anyway i fold and he shows 3/5o the next 7hands he goes all in with ATC..i called and double up with AQ and he's down to 4K but continues the maddness..cracks one guys AA with 66 - then before i no it, he's back to 28K then 36K 45K 56K...im like wtf do i have to do, UTG he shoves, im BB with AJ and think this is good enough to call becuase of the rubbish he's been shovin..alas, he has AK and im out :(

Any ideas how to play against this? it really was hard.

Sabo :club:
  • 5 replies
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      If hes pushing any two cards and it's for your tourney life, play hands that will likely dominate him like 88+ where you probably have a 70-30 against 1 over card in most situations.

I wouldn't bother playing Ax unless you are short stacked or he is short stacked because you will most likely be up against two live cards.
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Maniacs can only be beaten by really being a maniac yourself.
      Sure you can sit tight, and wait for cards, but light 3 betting usually does the trick; providing they're not shoving every hand.
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      yeah - thats what was so annoying about it - he was open shoving EVERY hand... he ran so good too - 66 beat AA 8 10 beat 99 just so sick..

:( was annoying to say the least lol
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      i think its not a bad play pushing any2 on the bubble when you are the chipleader
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      I would call with QQ first hand and fold AJ because u don't want to gamble even if he pushes any two. I think u must adapt to his range but if he has a chip lead u must be cautious calling with AJ. My calling range if i have a big stack especially would be TT+ AK. The good thing about the maniac is, you are going to double up easily.