This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

advice please or opinion

• justgeo
      justgeo
      Bronze
      i prefer to play sit n go's or multi table tournaments. i have tried to play cash games but dont find them appealing and i dont do too well with them. i dont play above my bankroll either in cash games.
      should i try and persist to play cash games, or stick with what i know and like?
      overall, i show small profit over 18 months of play, but did not use even half the tools available to me [mug]
      i even tried SSS but hated it.
      any suggestions/opinions anyone?
      :f_cool:
  • 4 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Play what you like.

AS long as what type of game you play, you dedicate time to learning and improving strategys.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I think you should stick to what you're most comfortable with. There is no point playing cash games if you don't like them. It's just a game after all and it's supposed to generate fun. :f_cool:
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      If you like SnG's over cash, by all means you should concentrate on them more. Personally, I would much rather be more proficient at cash games overall though, only because you can go so long without a decent cash in tournaments, it almost makes them -EV for me.

I wouldn't restrict myself to JUST one form though. Try to open your game up and do more. The articles here will definitely improve you as an overall well rounded player.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi George,

I would back what other members have already suggested, you should be playing poker for enjoyment, not necessity.

Play a variant that you are comfortable with and happy to play, playing a variant that bores you will lead to leaks in your game.

No idea what your BR is, but I would strongly recommend sticking to the strategy guidelines for BRM of 100xBI for mtt's and 50xBI for sng's (single tables), i.e. start grinding the $1 STT's with a $50 starting capital or from Freeroll up to 50cent mtt tournaments. Whilst these seem excessively conservative, like all forms of poker, variance can hurt a more aggressive BRM severely.

Let us know how you get on with whichever form you decide,

Bart