Quiz of the Week: SnG - Playing vs. Regulars

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      It's been a while since we had a quiz for our SnG players, so let's add one this week :f_p:

Let's say you wanted to play some tournaments really fast and did not do any sort of table scanning. Now you're stuck with some regulars at your table, so what are you going to do? How do you adjust your play to ensure you can survive and eventually win the tournament?

Let us know how you did in this tread:

- how many points did you get?
      - what would you have done differently?
      - what did you think of the quiz overall?
  • 19 replies
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      I think the Quiz was good except for the first question, which I think should be raise 160. You don't mind to play from position against UTG and if he reraises it doesn't cost so much to let go of the hand.

Oh, and I'd like to hear peoples opinions about the last hand as well if the villain goes all-in after we check. I'll personally insta-fold the hand.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Yea vs regular I would check and call/fold depending on betsize and reads... I'm not sure how many hands in his range we are beating here tbh (is he's a decent reg)

You have achieved a total 18 of 24 possible points. This corresponds to 75 %!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hmmmm 79%, good, but I need to allocate some time to review the strategy guides again.

Bart
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      88%... I agree number 1 should still be a raise to 160, and also agree with viewer that I check/fold to a shove/large bet and check/call a smaller bet...

I'm still not convinced by the fold vs the UTG who may have a set... there are still plenty hands that we own here... maybe, I did consider it... I stuggle to fold TPTK here... anyone else? can't remember which question...
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      like 30%? :D was lazy to think :D
    • RomeoGambler
      RomeoGambler
      Bronze
      46% There is still much space for improvement :f_p:
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Originally posted by NickParkes
      I'm still not convinced by the fold vs the UTG who may have a set... there are still plenty hands that we own here... maybe, I did consider it... I stuggle to fold TPTK here... anyone else? can't remember which question...
      Like what....?

I think you are not ahead of ANYTHING there. Coldcall behind you (well, it can mean a lot of things, but he may very well have set because he is in position and board isn't THAT drawy) a problem for you top pair already, but when UTG caller who does have mostly only small and mid-pocket pairs in his range wakes up and 3-bets against large bet and large call, I don't like my chances in the pot. The UTG is basically "giving you cheap call, so you will also call the river push too because you have so good odds".
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      OK... in my experience limp/callers are capable of limp/calling, small/medium PPs, suited As, and broadways... so hands that have us crushed,

44, 66, KT, other random 2 pair...

Hands that will play and may make this move:

A :heart: x :heart: , KQ, KJ, QJ...

Now it comes down to reads, if I know villain to be a decent regular I find a fold... but I need solid reads there... against unknown I call... and while this is a quiz vs regulars so maybe we can find a fold, but if that's the case then reg often folds preflop as he doesn't necessarily have call-15 here... I know that because there are 2 callers you can add them and then he does, but it happens so rarely that you stack 2 villains when you hit a set on the $22s that I don't count that into my call-15 implied odds... is that a leak?

edit: just reread stack sizes and starting stacks are 2000 not 1500 like I am sooo used to... he does have the implied odds to call preflop... so if I know villain to be a reg I fold... my bad... it's a reg's quiz so we fold... would shove against a fish tho...
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      You can't just double your implied odds when there is another caller infront of you.. although they do increase (ofcourse) and your odds preflop get better aswell.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      That was something that the Nose did in one of the videos in the strategy section... personally I only call if if pot+at least 1 opponent stack (preferably more) = 15x bet needed to call...
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      sounds like a good rule of thumb, has to be adjusted to the situation ofcourse.

Setmining is alot harder vs regulars because they will know you have a set or big hand when you invest money postflop.. so if the openraiser is a reg I'm usualy a little bit more inclined to fold ( = I need better odds).
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      23 points :) 96 %
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I've been thinking about question 1 for a while... when up against a regular who you are certain will limp call a PP only if he has the odds... is it A) better to raise and not give him the odds to call and collect the dead money (as the quiz suggested) or B) raise the normal 3BB+1BB/limper and give him the odds knowing that he'll miss and fold to a c-bet, and watch out when he gets interested?? Which is more +EV? I would personally think B, but why then does the quiz suggest A?

Even though the quiz was a while ago, I am interested to hear opinions on this...
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      75%...not that bad i guess :P
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Originally posted by NickParkes
      I've been thinking about question 1 for a while... when up against a regular who you are certain will limp call a PP only if he has the odds... is it A) better to raise and not give him the odds to call and collect the dead money (as the quiz suggested) or B) raise the normal 3BB+1BB/limper and give him the odds knowing that he'll miss and fold to a c-bet, and watch out when he gets interested?? Which is more +EV? I would personally think B, but why then does the quiz suggest A?

Even though the quiz was a while ago, I am interested to hear opinions on this...
      The problem is that other people and UTG can re-raise you, making larger raises expensive.
      If you were last to act and had position and knew his range was small pocket pairs only, then it would be correct to raise 240.
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total 20 of 24 possible points. This corresponds to 83 %!

I messed up the last 2 questions. I should have known that a UTG could have a set since he raised on the turn, because it looked that he wanted to protect his hand against a completed flush or straight draw. But I was getting a good price he almost minraised me.. good trap anyway.
    • MrSaddeh
      MrSaddeh
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total 13 of 24 possible points. This corresponds to 54 %!

The quiz and the explanations very really good, I learnt and analyzed some of my game just by reading the results over and over. Thanks for it!
      Bronze
      Got 19 points, Picked Shove on the last 2, for 1 point each.

Made me nervous for a second when I would pick my answer then scroll down,
      and the next question started with the same choice as mine, I was wondering if it was a trick 8)

good quizz.
    • tevere
      tevere
      Bronze
      is the quiz for gold only? because i'd like to take it..