$22,89
      MP3:
      $1,85
      CO:
      $18,75
      BU:
      $1,25

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8:spade: , 8:heart:
      UTG1 folds, Hero calls $0,10, 6 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,25) 6:spade: , 7:club: , 5:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero???

You have an overpair and OESD and are facing a flushdraw. It's not very a strong pair however there's not many action on the flop. Check or raise and how big should that raise be?

I'd say pot size raise. Your pair is probably the strongest and you have 6 outs for a straight and 1 for a set. If he calls and turn is an overcard or another clubs it's an easy fold. Otherwise you're probably ahead unless the turn shows a 3 or something like that.

Somebody any ideas?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

The BB has any 2 cards, except maybe the first few % with which he would have raised you, so you very likely have the best hand. The board is very drawy tho, just bet around pot to protect your hand and see what happens, most likely he will just fold right there.

I don't expect him to call with overcards that often, unless he has like K6 and calls with his 2nd pair, so don't be scared right away if the turn comes an overcard to your 8's. I assume a midstack is less likely to play his draws aggressively, so his calling range is probably any sort of pair, any straight draw, any flush draw, and any combo of those. He would probably raise with better made hands, but you can't be sure.

If he checks to you again on the turn, just bet again no matter what the turn is, and only make a decision when you see what he does in response. You hand still figures to be best on most turns (obviously a club isn't that great, but he still could have a hand like Kh6c for a turned flush draw + a pair which you are ahead of), and betting there will make your decisions for the rest of the hand easier, as it still protects your hand against numerous draws while forcing your opponent to give away information on the strength of his hand. It might also make him think you plan on betting the river again, so you might induce another check on his part, allowing you to check behind for a free showdown if the river card is bad for your hand.

Hope it helps, if you have questions on specific turn cards and/or lines your opponent would take on those cards, just tell us which ones and bump the thread.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Let's say the turn is for example:

Turn: ($0,73) Q:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,52, BB raises to $2,26, Hero???.

Was the 2/3 pot size on the turn too small? Should I fold this hand? BB could have an over pair or 2pair. He might have hit a straight on the flop and now he's afraid I've hit a flushdraw. Some people even react like this when they think their opponent has hit a flush. He also might have dealt a strong starting hand like AA or KK and decided to slowplay it (at those limits people do that). He off course already may have hit the flush instead of a flushdraw.

Most like in my opinion would be a flush or flushdraw + overpair so I'd prefer to fold this hand. Especially because of the big raise=big risk in case I call. Would this be correct?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

When you bet again on that turn, assuming BB isn't tricky enough to bluff-raise you there which i think is a fair assumption at these stakes, with the flush getting there you don't need to make it that big for a few reasons

* worse hands that will still call you have to be afraid of your big bets

* you don't have to protect against that many draws anymore

* you lose less money when you get raised

This is one of the perks of going for a b/f line on the turn, as opposed to checking behind and being faced with a potentially bigger river bet at the discretion of your opponent. I think you can settle for something between $0.40 and $0.45.

You do get raised, making your decision easy. You bet twice and BB still raised you on a club turn, i don't see him do that with anything that you're still ahead of, and if you're behind, you might not even have any outs anymore.

I don't see him having an overpair very often, and i'm not sure he would raise that even if he had a big club to go with it. Most people at these stakes won't raise a naked turned one card flush draw either when you bet into them twice, as they don't expect you to fold. A flush is most likely, maybe a wrongly slowplayed set now afraid because the board is getting uglier.

Whatever he has he's got you crippled, and calling his raise would commit you both to the pot, so it's a clear fold on your part.

Hope it helps.