People sitting out

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

I really hate people sitting out, I leave the table as soon as there are 2 people sitting out. Why don't they just leave and come back? Rather than hog the seat.

With them sitting out, there is generally less action, less profit for me, worst of all I have to pay extra blinds.

I see people sitting and and I just want to give them a virtual smack in the face.

Am I being unreasonable? What's your opinion?
  • 5 replies
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      I agree with you, but theres nothing you can do about it =)
      I think its more likely to see that on lower limits...
      Im myself playing NL10 now and during afternoon its horrible, ppl are just coming, leaving, coming, leaving, sittingout, tables are broking etc.
      Sometimes I dont feel like playing poker, but more like being mechanic table changer =)
      But well, thats what poker is also about =)
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      I was just like you in the beginning but since then I have learned to live with it, mostly because I don't mind 3 or 4-handed play anymore and see it as a chance to increase my aggression and improve hand-reading skills. Also because I'm guilty of sitting out for 5 mins every now and then when I want a smoking break :D
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I believe that most of the people who are pissed about it play SSS strategy, so they need to have their tables full. I play sh so it really doesnt bother me.
    • Badmemory
      Badmemory
      Bronze
      this text are taken from http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/sitting-out/

Why "Sitting Out" isn't against the rules

A player in a "ring" game (a non-tournament game) can click "leave table", and take his chips out of the game at any time. They can do this because each hand is its own separate event. If a player sits out too long in a ring game, we do remove them in order to free up the seat for another player.

A tournament is not like a ring game, however. For their "buy-in", they receive their starting stack of chips, which are not from their chip totals but are instead just scorekeepers for the tournament. Once the event begins, it must proceed until one person has won all the chips.

For the same reason that players cannot just choose to pick up their own chips and leave, we cannot arbitrarily remove the player and their chips from the event once it has begun. Every chip in a starting stack of a tournament must be at the final table in order for a game to be fair to every player.

It's best to think of a player who is sitting out as simply folding every hand. This is a completely legal tactic, as it is up to any individual player to decide his own best strategy. There is no rule, for obvious reasons, against folding every hand. Therefore, what these players are doing is not against any rule, and no action will be taken against them.

For the same reasons, we cannot make changes to the system to discourage this activity. Once a player has paid their entry, they are entitled to play (or not play) every hand that their chips will buy them.

A player who is sitting out actually puts his opponents at a significant advantage. The player who is sitting out is still forced to pay his blinds and antes, and is never able to build his stack. On occasion, a player might blind off into 3rd place, or maybe even 2nd, but players who employ this strategy are usually far worse off than those who play their best game.

If players are actually winning chips by sitting out the entire time, this is a sign that the play in these events is far too loose and you should adjust your play accordingly. You will find that this is often the case with all play money chip games. I'm sure you've noticed, for example, that players will go all-in holding virtually nothing when it is play money.

We hope this clearly explains why this is neither against the rules nor something we can possibly police. If you were to play in our $5.50 cash sit and go events (available only on PokerStars.com, not on Pokerstars.net), we believe you would find that very few players are sitting out, and that the play is much more realistic with real cash on the line.

In addition, we have implemented a limit of 2 concurrent play money sit and go events per player. Players can no longer sign up for an unlimited number of events in an effort to accumulate chips without playing.

But i hate it myself.. many players use it to get in the money in sng's and that sucks.. :D
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      People sitting out is part of the game im afraid...

There is not much that you can do about them. Most poker sites will kick the players in ring games after a certain number of orbits.

But it is still a useful feature to have... Say you have a couple of really fishy tables going but your desperate for a pee and a drink. You can sit out do what you want for five mins and then come back to your tables ;)

Thats how i look at it anyway :P

-Jack