[NL2-NL10] NL5 did I play wrong ?

• Ravelpit
      Ravelpit
      Bronze
      Hi
      I play now for quite some time but i notice that with my style of playing i just don't achieve any success. i always habe some ups but they always are followed by a down. I just don't get a continued win. I often just go out broke even.

Now I was wondering that it maybe my style of playing that makes me go out broke even, that i might play to aggressive or i do some other stupid mistakes.

Here are some hands with whom i left a good amount of money and I wanted to know where i have to improve my play, which bets were crap etc.

HAND 1:
      0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grab'em by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K:spade: , K:club:
      UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP3 folds, CO calls, BU folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: ($1.00) Q:spade: , T:heart: , 9:diamond: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $1, CO folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: ($4.00) 2:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $4.68 (All-In), SB calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: ($13.36) 3:heart:

Final Pot: $13.36

Results follow:
      SB shows [ 9s, Ts ] two pairs, Tens and Nines
      Hero shows [ Ks, Kc ] a pair of Kings
      SB wins $12.71 with two pairs, Tens and Nines.

HAND 2:
      0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:spade: , J:club:
      UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($0.70) J:heart: , Q:heart: , 2:spade: (3 players)
      UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $0.50, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: ($1.70) K:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.25, UTG calls.

River: ($4.20) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.81 (All-In), Hero calls.

Final Pot: $5.82

Results follow:
      UTG shows [ Th, Ah ] a straight Ten to Ace
      Hero shows [ Js, Jc ] three of a kind, Jacks
      UTG wins $5.57 with a straight, Ten to Ace.

HAND 3:

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J:spade: , J:diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.16, 5 folds, CO calls, BU calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: ($0.66) 6:diamond: , 4:club: , 6:spade: (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, CO calls, 2 folds.

Turn: ($1.86) 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.96, CO raises to $0.96 (All-In).

River: ($3.78) T:diamond:

Final Pot: $3.78

Results follow:
      CO shows [ Ac, 6c ] three of a kind, Sixes
      Hero shows [ Js, Jd ] two pairs, Jacks and Sixes
      CO wins $3.63 with three of a kind, Sixes.

HAND 4:
      0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , 4:diamond:
      6 folds, BU calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 4:heart: , A:diamond: , K:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, BU calls, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.32) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.32, BU calls.

River: ($0.96) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.75, BU raises to $2.73 (All-In), Hero calls.

Final Pot: $6.42

Results follow:
      BU shows [ 4c, 4s ] three of a kind, Fours
      Hero shows [ As, 4d ] two pairs, Aces and Fours
      BU wins $6.12 with three of a kind, Fours.

HAND 5:
      0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , Q:club:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.08, SB calls, Hero raises to $0.20, BU calls, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.48) 3:heart: , T:diamond: , A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BU raises to $1.00, Hero calls.

Turn: ($2.48) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, BU raises to $0.68 (All-In).

River: ($5.16) 8:club:

Final Pot: $5.16

Results follow:
      Hero shows [ Ac, Qc ] three of a kind, Aces
      BU shows [ Th, Ts ] a full house, Tens full of Aces
      Hero wins $1.32 with three of a kind, Aces.
      BU wins $3.69 with a full house, Tens full of Aces.

HAND 6:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:club: , A:spade:
      UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero raises to $0.24, MP3 calls, 3 folds, BB calls, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.82) 5:spade: , A:diamond: , 2:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Turn: ($2.02) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP3 calls.

River: ($4.02) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $3.19 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $7.21

Whas the flod ok on this last hand ?

It often happens that i play hands like this, on the others side i win some hands, as i said before most of the time i come out broke even of a session.

I now hope for some Tips and suggestion on how to imrpove my play

Thx
      Ravel
  • 4 replies
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      These all seem like very reasonable, but unlucky, hands, and all very good spots to go broke in except the last, which is a good fold, but the half pot bet on the turn bothers me. It doesn't offer much protection, you can't make a convincing bluff in that spot (which I presume was your intention as you checked the river, which only completes a backdoor flush draw) and you're not sure enough that you're ahead to do it for value. Other than that, only real improvement I can immediately think of would be a larger preflop reraise on the AQs hand. $0.20 is undersized even if the raise had been a call and a larger raise makes a world of difference to a drawing hand, which is common for this pattern.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      i am no expert by any means but i ll give it a try.
      i think first of all most important thing is to have reads on your opponents , whether they are tight or loose , if they might chase without proper odds etc.

Hand 1 i think here applies the rule of "never going broke with 1 pair" especially since you have more than a full buy in. The flop is very dangerous and likely to have hit an opponent. I think i would have bet pot size on the flop too , to define my hand. If such a big bet gets reraised , that means i am probably behind.Of course you have an OESD too , so you have some outs to the nuts. But since 2 people call you , i think i would check behind on the turn , and try to get to showdown cheaply.

Hand 2 i would bet more on the flop to protect against flush and straight draw. Other than that i think it was played ok ,a set is a very powerful hand on this board , and will win most of the time. And since the opponent was a bit short stacked it is ok to put him all in anyway.

Hand 3 is fine , it is very unlikely that the board hit your opponent , and with your jacks you should be ahead most of the time. So this is just a bad beat imo.He is again short stacked , so you shouldnt hesitate to put him all in like you did.

Hand 4 i would not bet potsize on the turn , your hand is not that strong and i would try to keep pot smaller with that. Maybe a 20 cent bet on the turn , and then with the 70 cent pot on the river i would bet around 40-50. I dont know if i would call an all in there, i think that indicates you should be behind. But again this totally depends on the reads on your opponent , if he is tight or if he is some loose guy capable of bluffing with nothing.

Hand 5 i am not sure if AQ is considered a reraise on big stack strategy. On the flop i wouldnt bet that hard , and when that big bet gets reraised , you should become suspicious. Still turn looks very good for your hand , and your opponent is so short stacked that putting him all in seems necessary.

Hand 6 since the bet on the flop gets called and you dont have much , other than a top pair with medium kicker , i might check on the turn if opponent is tight. I would probably bet if i have reads that he is a fish. On the river , i would probably check and call a small bet , but his all-in i would not call either. There are way too many hands that can beat you.

Anyway this is just my opinion and i hope some expert will analyze the hands too to see how it would differ from my thoughts. Again , i might play some of the hands differently depending on my opponents image.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I'm no NL player but I givew it a try :)

Next time please don't post the results.

1) ok

2) bet 0.24 preflop. 4BB+2*1BB = 6 BB. On the flop you should be a bit more. Potsize should be ok too because of 2 connected 2 suited. urn no idea

3) ok

4) until the river ok. River no idea :/

5) If you 3-bet preflop raise more. Is 3 times standard? Rest ok.

6) ok
    • Sleyde
      Sleyde
      Black
      1) nh

2) i'd reraise it preflop to downsize the numbers of player on the flop. in your case you can push on the turn.

3) $0.5 on the flop is enuff. turnpush allright.

4) nice hand!!! there is no hand that you beat I can see him push on the river. actually you could bet a little less on the turn .. about 2/3 pot. no draws available.

5) make it about $0.35 preflop, your raise is too small. against the smallstack push after his raise on the flop would be correct. your bet on the flop should be about $0.4.

6)
      Hand 6 since the bet on the flop gets called and you dont have much , other than a top pair with medium kicker , i might check on the turn if opponent is tight. I would probably bet if i have reads that he is a fish. On the river , i would probably check and call a small bet , but his all-in i would not call either. There are way too many hands that can beat you.
      I agree. Against an unknown NL5 player I'd bet the turn again, coz most likely he is a fish. but bet a little more, about $1.3.